Home at Last!!!
Trip Start Jun 07, 2008
191Trip End Jun 28, 2009
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
A lot has happened since my last post, but the good news is that I have officially moved to South Africa with my family!!!! We have been exactly a month on Sunday, and it is great to be back in the place where I was born!
Here is a short version of what has happened since September 2009:
* We moved to a great five-story townhouse in New York City, on Minetta Street, in Greenwich Village. My room was on the bottom floor, and there were lots of people walking by at night, but I liked the house a lot!
* I started PS3 in grade 4, Beth Barbaro's class
* I turned 10 years old on December 20, 2009. I celebrated by having my class go on an ice skating field trip and I invited a few of my friends to see the movie, "Invictus" about South Africa winning the World Cup in Rugby, and then we hung out. I will miss my NYC friends but I will see some of them in the Catskills because they have houses there. My cousins came for my actual birthday and there was a HUGE snowstorm (over a foot of snow) so we had got to explore New York in a blizzard.
* My sister turned 5 - she had a parade for her birthday. She really liked her school, The Blue School, a lot.
* We had lots of visitors to New York - all my grandparents, my cousins on both sides, and friends too.
We celebrated Christmas at my Gramae and Pop's house, which I loved! They have a huge tree and lots of great gifts and food. Of course, my Gramae made me a special chocolate cake!!! And we had a Christmas play. I was Joseph.
On December 28, we packed up all our clothes and things, shipped a few boxes, and got on a plane to Cape Town! We had to be here by December 30 for Big Julia's wedding to Joel. I was the ring bearer and Lu was one of the flower girls. The wedding was at the premiere of the Western Cape's house (kind of like the governor's house) and Julia seemed very happy. I feel asleep at the dinner because I was so jetlagged.
On New Years Eve, the entire family climbed Lions Head for my mom's birthday (her tradition). I made it to the top first and even Tallulah climbed by herself!
We moved into a super cool house right by the beach after spending a few days at our new farm (we own it with Paul and Lucille and Sienna and Ashlyn, and with Francois and Lindsey). Winston was visting from London and we hung out, and I went to my friend Alec's paintball party
On January 19, school started here. I am going to Reddam House in Seapoint, in Grade 5, which means I only did half of grade 4! Luckily, Alec is in my class, and also Dante and Robbie and some other cool boys. There are also lots of girls but that is another story. We went on a three day camping trip right after the first day. I went sandboarding, hiking, swimming, and we did lots of team building exercises. I have 13 subjects and so many folders and I have to wear a uniform, but I really like changing classes every half hour and I like my teachers. We have tests every Friday - that will be hard. I am playing cricket and doing hip hop at school, and I am on the Llandudno Junior Lifesaving team. The lifesaving practices are super hard - you have to run in and out of the ocean over and over again. I have not been surfing that much, mainly because there have been so many great white sharks in the water. We had to get out once and then one time the flag was up when we arrived. Someone got munched in January so I am happy to wait! I am going to tutor some kids in Khayelitsha on Saturdays and take them surfing. I am looking forward to that.
So, I am now a Cape Town kid