YOU KNOW YOU HAVE BEEN IN FINLAND TOO LONG, WHEN..
Trip Start Feb 05, 2006
33Trip End Jun 30, 2006
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
1. When a stranger on the street smiles at you:
a. you assume he is drunk
b. he is insane
c. he's an American
d. all of the above
2. You don't think twice about putting the wet dishes away in the cupboard
3. A friend asks about your holiday plans and you answer "Oh, I'm going to
Europe!" meaning any other Western European country outside Scandinavia.
4. Silence is fun.
5. The reason you take the ferry to Stockholm is:
a. duty free vodka
b. duty free beer
c. to party hearty...no need to get off the boat in Stockholm, just turn
around and do it again on the way back to Finland.
6. Your coffee consumption exceeds 6 cups a day and coffee is too weak if
there is less than 10 scoops per pot.
7. Your native language has seriously deteriorated, now you begin to "eat
medicine", "open the television", "close the lights off", and tell someone
"you needn't to!" Expressions like "Don't panic" creep into your everyday
8. You associate pea soup with Thursday.
9. Your idea of unforgivable behavior now includes walking across the
street when the light is red and there is no WALK symbol, even though
there are no cars in sight.
10. Your notion of street life is reduced to the few teenagers hanging out
in front of the railway station on Friday nights.
11. Your bad mood becomes your good mood.
12. Sundays no longer seem dull with all the stores closed, and begin to
feel restful instead.
13. "No comment" becomes a conversation strategy.
14. You finally stop asking your class "Are there any questions?"
15. Your old habit of being "Fashionably late" is no longer acceptable.
You are always on time.
16. Hugging is reserved for sexual foreplay.
17. You refuse to wear a hat, even in -30 degree weather.
18. You hear loud-talking passengers on the train. You immediately assume:
a. they are drunk
b. the are Swedish-speaking
c. they are American
d. all of the above.
19. You no longer look at sports pants as casual wear, but recognise them
as semi-formal wear.
20. You have undergone a transformation:
a. you accept mustamakkara (Black-blood sausage) as food
b. you accept alcohol as food
c. you accept both of above
21. You understand why the Finnish language has no future tense.
22. You no longer have to search for the flushing mechanism.
23. You no longer correct people who say MAC Donald's.
24. You've come to expect Sunday morning sidewalk vomit dodging.
25. You know that "religious holiday" means "let's get pissed."
26. You enjoy salmiakki.
27. You know that "men's public bathroom" is another phrase for sidewalk.
28. You know that more than three channels means cable.
29. You get all the Swedish jokes.
30. You've become lactose intolerant.
31. You accept that 80 degrees C in a sauna is chilly, but 20 degrees C
outside is freaking hot.
32. YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE LIVE ANYWHERE BUT IN FINLAND!!!!
33. You think the rich deserve heavier fine than the poor for speeding.
(It is world surprise that fine for speeding is based on income.)
34. You take it for granted to go to bar on Wednesday and Saturday.