The year in review
Trip Start Feb 21, 2011
100Trip End Jun 05, 2012
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Here is a summary of the year.
335 days. 127 in South and Central America with 55 days in Colombia. 66 in Africa. 8 days in Panama and Cancun. and then 134 Asia and Mideast.
115,000 miles traveled approximately (24,900 miles around the equator)
8011 pictures taken
27times I was asked to pose for pictures with camera happy Asians
People always ask me what was my favorite place or where do I want to go back to most? My answer is everywhere. The year exceeded expectations completely. It's so hard to narrow it down so I've broken it down into the 3 big parts of trip Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
• Rumi Punku in Cuzco, Peru
• Elephant Lodge in Victoria Falls
• Camp in Okavango Delta
• Hilton Kuala Lumpur, Hilton Seoul or Penthouse hotel in Pattaya
• Doubletree Hilton Cairo overlooking the Nile
• Argentinian steakhouse in Cartagena, Colombia
• Carlynne what was that typical African meal you cooked?
• In luang Prabang satay chicken in peanut sauce and sticky rice
• First night in Cairo finding a local falafel and schwarma place
Best crazy drunk moment
• Doing flaming shots at a small bar aptly called "Shots" with two friends in Medellin
• First night in Capetown at youth hostel with bartender and a few Aussies inventing crazy shots with anyone in the bar and cocktail sauce
• Hanoi, Vietnam so much rotten rice wine during snake eating dinner
• Machu Pichu
• Rock hewn churches in Lalibela, Ethiopia
• Angkor Wat, shercx Pagoda, Great Wall
• Pyramids, Petra and Hagia Sophia how does one choose?
Most memorable moment
• Hanggliding in Rio with my best friend
• Summiting Mt. Kilimanjaro with my father
• Face to face with Great White
• Hot air balloon ride in Turkey
I've debated writing the "shout out" section. I've met so many wonderful people that have shared this amazing year and even a few people traveled across the world to meet me for part of the journey. But what if I forgot someone? Or I said eating tiramisu with person A was a great memory and then person B gets upset because we ate tiramisu together as well and I didn't comment on that.