Why do I want to travel the world with my son?
Trip Start Jul 28, 2009
121Trip End Aug 10, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
preparing and planning our Round the World trip.
My dream has always been to travel the world. Explore archeological sites, learn languages, volunteer, learn about history and culture, make friends and learn to appreciate my life more. Never thought I would do it with my 11 year old son! He thinks Im crazy of course and
he is not the only one!
Of course, this trip is not something I planned overnight. I have been researching, reading travel books, sitting in front of a world map for hours pondering all the places I want to visit
trying to see it all which is impossible. It will still be 16 countries in 373 days.
The hardest part about this trip besides deciding which places to go was to tell my family and friends that I was actually doing this trip!
So why am I doing this trip?
1. I want to break every routine I have. It will be refreshing as well as disorienting to hit the reset button and get only those things back in my life that I really want.
2. Lose the materialism. I want Nikolas to discover and learn about the rest of the world, especially to see how privileged his life has been living with freedom, food, electricity and all the things we take for granted every day.
3. I want to discover things that we will prefer forever. We are all creatures of habit and much of what we prefer comes from the fact that our choices have been quite limited our whole lives.
4. Reinvent myself on departure day. As I have been a workaholic for all of my adult life, I want to make new friends, find old friends, find new passions, be adventurous (stop talking about it and just do it!)
5. Reexamine my own culture and habits. What things are really important to me and what do I want out of life?
6. Appreciate my home upon returning. I am very privileged to live on a beautiful island where the weather is perfect year round and I have some really great friends and family. Its nothing like travelling that makes you appreciate what you have!