Out at sea and from La Gomera to Capo Verde

Trip Start Nov 04, 2009
Trip End Jan 05, 2015

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Spain  , Canary Islands,
Thursday, November 12, 2009

On the first day out at sea in between Las Palmas and La Gomera we saw dolphins. How typical is it that when they suddenly appear you camera is down in your cabin, so you are stuck in between 2 options: do I enjoy watching them or do I quickly go down to the cabin to get the camera and risk missing them by the time I am back? I can tell you that I won't be able to upload these images, as no cable has been invented to connect my brain to the PC yet.....

The captain was a good cook, though his cleanliness standards were no different from a Bangladeshi slum kebab shop....he once dropped a piece of chicken he wanted to pan fry and without even rinsing it, he picked it up and threw it in the pan....I am not going to tell you what was on the floor of the kitchen after 4 men and several male guests walked up and down it everyday and every night....well I am still alive so no need to moan about it, no?!

Captains are usually strong minded people used to do most of things on their own, so when they have new crew onboard they'll either be happy and relaxed since they are now getting extra help or they will hate the way other people intrude their space and attack the crew at any given opportunity for being incompetent to their eyes.

Our captain kept saying from the beginning of the journey how he hated this nation and that nation and how everybody is such an idiot and fu**ing this, fu**ing that....at the begininng it was kind of entertaining, but then it obviously started including more than far away nations and far away people, the storm of insults sucked us crew in it too and the captain started throwing objects around the boat, mainly to the floor, shouting orders and telling us we were idiots too....so we began to think.....

Night shifts lasted 3 hours and they consisted in a single member of the crew staying at the helm to make sure we were going in the right direction, that we did not no hit anything (objects, boats) and that the sails were always full of wind, not whipping around, and only up till 30 knots of wind max.
The temperature was not low but it was very humid (I wonder why, maybe because there is water all around us?!) but the best thing about it was the sky.....we are talking about a billion twenty six stars....no I didnīt count them I think itīs quicker to guesstimate :  )
And to avoid falling asleep when the sky is dark and the sea is dark and nothing is happening the best thing is to sing, same formula used when feeling car sick.
Talking about being car sick and sea sick, it took 20 hours for my body to adjust to the rocking of the boat, I wasn't sea sick but my name ain't Ariel either (the little marmaid) so you feel funny for a while when the wind blows at 24 knots and the boat only travels at 8 because of the waves.... 
But the coolest thing is when you get off the boat. They say it takes time for you to adjust back to land, and it's true, it is much quicker a process though , (it depends on how many drinks you have as soon as you find the nearest bar) and itīs fun!

A very interesting thing was that on top of the humidty at sea there was a funny haze, day and night from Mauritania downwards, given by the sand from the Sahara being contained and transported by the clouds, that  made eveything sticky and humid and created a haze that made it difficult to see over 2-3 miles.
We made it to Mindelo, Sao Vicente, got there at 9pm on sun the 22nd of dec 09. The captain by now was tired and not communicative, tired from too many days at sea for him, not from too much work.
He would have wanted to get there quicker but there was a spot at sea where the wind didn't blow so we were delayed by a day and a half roughly.
So he decided to not to study the entry to the harbour on the map where there were 2 marinas and instead venture at night into a foreign harbour with strong winds. As we followed his brilliant orders, he started shouting he couldnīt see (bad eye sight) and he couldnīt see the red and green lights that indicate the entry to the harbour. Instead of looking he would shout more...he was tired, impatient and almost panicking (he later on told us so).
We went around for a good 20 minutes, eschewing cargo ships at the anchor and then we asked local fishermen where the marina was. We followed their directions, us crew pointed out and lit with a torch a buoy, he misread the signal so we were run aground and got stuck on a relict of a fishing boat at the bottom of the sea ( 3.85m) !!!!! More shouting, more screaming and then after 10 minutes of him beating his own head with his hand (he wasn't happy :  ) we got rescued and towed off the relict by a local fishermen boat, who then excorted us to the marina.
The mooring was made more complicated by him than it should have been as he turned out to be not good at it.
People on the pontoon helped us, so we made it, and the next day the crew of 3 told bye bye to captain mad! (His name was Mat : )

Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: