Life down on the farm!

Trip Start Aug 15, 2005
Trip End Dec 21, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Sunday, October 9, 2005

Tuesday 4th October 2005

The alarm was beeping at 6 am so we were up and dressed and in reception where me met Mike for 6.30am. We shared a $6 taxi ride to the airport. The taxi guy was lovely and was giving us the history of the 'sleeping giant' on the Nadi mainland. It is a huge rock that looks like a giant asleep on his back. It has lots of hot springs where the Fijian people go to bathe as they believe it heals the body and mind!. We arrived at the airport and checked in our rucksacks. Our flight was delayed by 45 minutes but it wasn't long until we were on our way after spending some time browsing round duty free and catching up with Mike in the waiting lounge. The flight was only 3 hours and as it's daylight saving in New Zealand, we arrived Nz time at about 2pm. We ploughed our way through customs for another stamp to the passport and Vic was waiting for us in arrivals. It was great to see her after such a long time and she recognised us instantly and said we hadn't really changed..just grown up! It was an hour or so drive to Vic and Scott's house in Paeroa. They live on a farm with 150 cows, about 5 dogs, some pigs and a lamb called 'Minty'! We met the kids, Josh and Tex and Vic made us some lunch. We had a quick browse around the farm which was nice. I had a go at feeding the lamb from a bottle too. We also managed to get some washing done. Around tea time, Vic made home made pizzas for tea and Vic and I nipped down to the local pub for a 'handle' (as they are called here). It's really funny how I imagined it to be too, everyone is stood round the bar with wellies on (gum boots they call them over here!). Scott took down out when it went dark shooting. Vic and I had a good catch up and headed for bed, I think Dan got in about 1am.

Wednesday 5th October 2005

Had a good nights sleep and woke at 8am. We got up and had some breakfast and I called Ezy to sort out the rental of the camper van for the rest of our trip in New Zealand, we pick it up Monday 10th in the morning until Saturday 12th November. It's absolutely pouring down with rain today, weather very different from the red hot heat of Fiji!. It rained for most of the day so we chilled out at Vic's house and I managed to type up some travel pod and catch up on emails. When the rain cooled off, Vic took us for a drive round the farm (she has loads of land!). We decided to go down to the local pub tonight for a few 'handles'! so Vic arranged a babysitter for the night. We sat and played Killer Pool with the locals, Dan won it and bagged $26 which was cool, he was well chuffed! I'm going out to do some milking on the farm with Vic tomorrow to get a taste of the 'farm life'!

Thursday 6th October 2005

Woke at 8.30 am, a nice lie in and good nights sleep. We sat and had breakfast and Vic took us out for a walk to Karangahake Gorge which was just really nice, it kind of gave us a taste for what's in store over here. We parked the car and walked on a trail, over a rickety bridge along the gorge up to a tunnel which was 1km long that went through the hill. You could see the light at the other side but it took a good 15 minutes of walking in the pitch black before we reached the other side! I was just thinking 'I hope no-one grabs our legs!!!'
The weather held out for us and Vic took us to some falls where she had her wedding photos taken too. We came back for lunch and Vic made us some delicious chicken wraps. As we had decided to try milking, Vic kitted me out with the 'farm gear' whilst Dan had a go on the motorbikes in the field.
There I was in my overalls, body warmer and gum boots! a real farmer!
We headed over to the field across the road on the quad bike and let the cows out to cross the road to the milking shed. Once we were over the road, I was driving the bike, it took me a while to get used to the gears but a couple of goes and I was sorted! The cows crossed over and Vic sorted the gates to get them into the milking shed. I had an apron on and a beer in had ready to go! I had a go at putting the cups on the cows, swapping them from one to the other. At first when I had 'cow poo' on me I was like 'arrrgh cow poo' but after about 1/2 hour and half way through the cows I was being splashed on with cow wee, cow poo all over my arms and after weeing on my trousers in the paddock just got on with it! (Wayne you would be proud!!!)We couldn't stop laughing! I helped clean up and hose down the yard then off to fasten the cows into another field! I had such a good time!
When we got back to the house, Vic made us some snacks and after a shower to get the cow poo out of my hair felt much better! We nipped down to the local 'Hauraki Tavern' for some beers and had a lovely lasagne Vic made for tea. We are off to Coromandel tomorrow for the weekend to Vic's mum and dad's house.

Friday 7th October 2005

We got up this morning, Vic took Josh and Tex to nursery and we packed some small bags of stuff to take to Coromandel with us for the weekend. Vic and I collected the kids around lunchtime and I nipped into get the photo's put onto a CD ready to upload to the travel pod. We headed on our way to Coromandel. The drive was really pretty all up the coast. The roads were long and windy so at one point Vic had to stop so I could get some fresh air as I was feeling a bit car sick! Dan had waited behind for Scott as they were coming up in his car. Scott decided not to bring the boat as the sea was way to choppy so we were going to see about going out Sunday afternoon on the river instead. We arrived at the house, a lovely place on the cliff overlooking the sea and really nice views. Once Scott and Dan had arrived, Vic and I nipped into Coromandel town to have a look round some of the shops and pick up some steak and chips for a bbq tea. Scott cooked the steak late on when the kids were in bed and we chilled out playing drinking games and pictionary. It wasn't long before we rolled into bed.

Saturday 8th October 2005

Woke this morning really tired, it had started to rain last night and just didn't stop, there was a real storm brewing in the night and we kept thinking the house was about to blow off a cliff! It didn't calm down for ages. We were pleased the house was still in tact after waking in the morning! I'm not sure of the temperature but it's very cold and windy!! There wasn't a great deal we could do today so after taking Josh to see the fire trucks in Coromandel, we nipped for an early lunch at the Pepper Tree where the food was just really nice! Scott nipped to Long Bay to show Dan in the car and Vic took me on the way home. The sea was really choppy and just pounding up the walls so it was a good job we didn't bring the boat with us. The rain continued for most of today so Scott took Dan out to the pub to play some pool in the afternoon and I stayed in with Vic and the kids. When they got back, Vic and I nipped out and called to get some fish and chips for tea. I was really embarrassed when I asked for gravy as they don't do gravy over here apparantley! Tea was lovely (Vic nipped to get me some packet gravy as I had a craving!). We rolled to be quite early tonight as Scott and Dan are getting up at 4.30 am to go pig hunting with one of Scott's friends!

Sunday 9th October 2005

This morning Scott and Dan went out early to go pig hunting. I woke about 7 am so got up and started putting some of my stuff away as we were going back to Vic's house. We did some cleaning, got the kids ready and headed back to Paeroa via McDonalds for breakfast bagels! The weather is much nicer today and the sun is quite nice too. The drive back was nice and when we got home, I used the internet to write the travel pod. Dan and Scott were still out pig hunting. If it's nice later we may take the boat up the river. We are going to get a chinese tonight as it's our last night and probably watch a video. We are leaving for Auckland in the morning to pick up our camper van so updates will follow from there!
Slideshow Report as Spam


paulineraywood on

hello from cornwall
Hi Vicki just read your travelpod and it was lovely hearing all your news. We have got some friends over and we are going out to the cliffs to see the seals. There are loads at the moment so I don't know if its breeding time or what! Sounds like you had loads of fun milking you know what granddad would have said s for luck! so you should have plenty while you are away. I'll email you later with more news keep sending the travelpods they are fun reading lots of love from auntie Pauline and uncle FrankXXXX

helenw on

Hi Vicky and Daniel
Lovely photos of Fiji I can imagine me and Dad lying on that beach no problem.
Sounds like you had fun in New Zealand especially down on the farm.Vicky I guess you were pleased some one invented shampoo.Look out for an email.
Love Mum and Dad xxx

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: