At the capital of USA - Washington D.C.
Trip Start Dec 14, 2007
300Trip End Nov 04, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
Super 8 - $79 exit 32. Like a 3 star hotel Europe. German touch
Anyway, we started off early to try to make Washington in one day. However it was impossible to get there fast along the Blue Ridge Parkway as there was continous road works all over the place so we decided to move onto a motorway after about 30 miles of the scenic one. We really wanted to arrive to Washington on a Sunday in order to avoid heavy traffic in the city and be able to park in the centre.
So after 3 hours, there we were! The capital of the USA, seen by us in one too many films about spies, politics and all other sorts.
As we thought, parking was easy...and free on Sundays, so double wammy!
There is little to comment on the city, except that it is great to walk around all those buildings which we grew up watching on TV, time and time again, while adding some real history to them
We managed to visit all the following:
- The White House. http://www.lewiston.k12.id.us/Camelot/NationalMonuments/Becky/Images/white-house.jpg
- The Lincoln Memoral: http://www.tourist4life.com/washingtondc/memorials/WashDC05_52_b8.jpg
- Washington Monument
- Korean and World War II Memorials
- Smithsonian Museum Castle: http://www.thedctraveler.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/washingotn-dc-cherry-blossom-weeping-cherry-higan-tree-at-the-smithsonian-castle-sm.jpg
- A Jim Henson exhibition in the Ripley museum
- The Capitol: http://www.thedctraveler.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/us-capitol-1.jpg
We finished the very long walk at Chinatown and of course indulged in some goooood Chinese food.
Off we drove out of Washington, and kept going North until we hit the Sunday evening traffic when we decided to hit the closest motel.