Terelj and the horse debacle

Trip Start May 02, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mongolia  ,
Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Oh...my...god. Did that just happen? I jumped off my horse and quickly made my way to where Yvonne was rolling about on the ground. Two minutes ago, I had just watched her get tossed off her horse. Apparently the bad luck from the Buddha-peeing incident during our White Lake trip a few days ago hadn't yet run its course. Because there was Yvonne now, flying through the air with the greatest of ease, then landing with a thump on the hard ground. She was very lucky not to have been hurt worse. She limped away with a bruised and scraped knee and hip. Suffice to say, it was the end of her horse-riding adventures.

We were in Terelj National Park, just an hour and a half from Ulan Bator. As a last taste of ger life, we decided to take one more side trip before leaving Mongolia. It was an overnighter with a couple hours of horse riding to boot. Perhaps the foreshadowing to this unfortunate event occurred when our guide was saddling this beast. He had to put the wild thing in a wrestling headlock to settle it down before fitting on its gear. Yvonne was hesitant about the horse so I volunteered to take it, but the guide insisted it was for her. Not five minutes after the group started off, Yvonne's horse took off like a flash, leaving the rest of the group behind. Our guide decided not to chase after her - for reasons we aren't sure of (and will never know). We all watched her bounce around on the galloping horse for a while before she finally got it to stop. The guide had finally caught up to her and told her to stay on the horse, even though Yvonne was ready to get off. As soon as he turned his back on her, the horse took off again. Obviously our guide hadn't done a very good job with the saddling business because it came loose, and was the reason Yvonne wasn't able to hang on. After she gathered herself from the traumatic incident, she hobbled back to the ger, but insisted we all continue on the trip. But shortly after we got back on our horses, we decided to call it a day - no one was feeling up to it anymore. Instead, we took to our feet and explored the large rock formations that surrounded the camp.

With Yvonne out of commission, the rest of our time in Ulan Bator was just spent lazing around, milling about the hostel and watching a couple of movies.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: