Little India and Kampong Glam

Trip Start Oct 16, 2009
Trip End Oct 24, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Swissotel The Stamford Singapore
Read my review - 5/5 stars

Flag of Singapore  ,
Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Slept in again, had breakfast at the hotel and then caught the MRT out to Little India.

Walked down to Serangoon Road which was still decorated for Deepavali and on to Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple. The temple was quite busy and again there was music and ceremonies taking place which were interesting.

We continued walking up Serangoon Road to Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple which was a little quieter than the previous temple. No music or ceremonies here but a few people praying. After wandering around the temple and surrounds we took a break in a nearby park before walking up Racecourse Road to Sakaya Muni Buddha Gaya Temple, otherwise known as the Temple of 1000 Lights.

The temple was small with a large Buddha statue surrounded by...lights. I didn't count them to see if there were 1000! We then crossed the street to Leong San See Temple which was also small and quiet and a typical Chinese temple.

We walked back down Racecourse Road to Farrer Park  MRT station and caught the train back to City Hall for a rest and then out for some lunch.

After lunch we caught the MRT out to Bugis to see Kampong Glam, the Muslim Quarter of Singapore. The first rain of the trip set in while we were on the train and we exited the station to the sound of thunder and steady rain. As we had our umbrellas it didn't matter too much and it only lasted 10 minutes at most. We walked from the station to Arab Street with its shop houses and on the Sultan Mosque.

We read the dress code and as we complied we took off our shoes and walked to the entrance where were were greeted by a man at the front of the mosque who welcomed us and waved us on into the mosque. As we turned to enter the mosque a lady offering audio guides asked if we wished to hire one. We declined politely and went to enter the mosque. However, the man's attitude had changed and he refused to let my wife enter unless she wore a neck to floor brown "shirt" to cover her exposed elbows which suddenly became an issue once we didn't hand over any cash for the audio guide.

I looked inside the mosque to see a woman in an almost sleeveless t-shirt clutching an audio guide and pointed it out to the man as we decided we'd not bother going inside. It seems compliance with the listed dress code is no guarantee of entry but shelling out for an audio guide makes the dress code no longer a concern.

We then continued on to the Istana Kampong Glam Malay Cultural Centre for a quick look around before walking back to Bugis MRT and catching the train back to City Hall and dropped our bags off at the hotel before going out for dinner at a crepe restaurant at Raffles City Shopping Centre. Crepes were great but compared to the food court, very expensive!

After dinner we went to the Business Centre at the hotel to check-in online for our flight home to Melbourne on Friday. Amazingly, a minute after check in opened most of the good seats were gone but we did manage to get two seats together on the top deck of the A380 but they were close to the toilets which was our only concern.

We then returned to our room for the night as we had to get up early for our Round Island Tour the next morning.

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: