Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  , Arequipa,
Friday, August 13, 2010

  We arrived at this tiny little village about 9.30pm at there was no street lights on so we wandered about with our head torches on, trying to work out what was where, Im pretty sure we were going round in circles, then someone switched them on haha. So off we went up the road to our hostel which I think was pretty much the only one there and best of all was attached on to a pizzeria.

We got up early the following morning to walk/hike/crawl/climb/fall down Colca Canyon  (1100 meter drop) it leads to a beautiful Oasis where you can swim in the pools or stay the night and camp then climb back up.  We spoke to the guy at the hostel and he said you can do it but it is very hard and it will take up a full day.  So we headed off about 9.30am the sun was blazing as we walked through some fields, passed some gaucho's with horses.  Then we came to the drop wow it was incredible, we followed a zig zag path the whole way down and it didn't look to far but because of the zig zag it took about 3 hours to get to the bottom, about half way down I started to feel really bad with stomach cramps and no desire to eat, when we eventually got to the bottom I ran to the toilet and it became quite clear I was not well, we only had half an hour to eat, drink and relax before we had to climb again.  I honestly didn't think there was any way I was making it back to the top I was so weak and the sun was even hotter as it was just past midday, but we headed off knowing it was going to be about 5 hours to get back up.  We had to hide behind rocks to shelter from the sun every 20 mins as I was out of breath and dizzy, it was at this point I decided to name the canyon ' Le Bastardo' It took every ounce of energy I had and I can honestly say it was the hardest thing I have ever done.  The worst thing was it gets dark about 6.30pm here and we didn't have our head torches so we had to make it snappy.  Anyway we made it to the top in 5 hours and sun was just going down.  A thoroughly great day out which I can recommend to anyone!!

I went pretty much straight to bed feeling dreadful as we planned to head back to Arequipa the following morning, I slept most of the bus journey as still felt unwell and we checked back in the same hostel as we were in before and thank goodness she upgraded us free of charge to a room with an en suite!  As we arrived there was a dance festival on so we had to walk the streets looking for a way through the crowd as people were dancing all down our street, a lovely policeman let us through, which was nice!  I went straight to bed and Justin went out to check out the festival to which I completely missed.  The following morning we called a doctor as I hadn't eaten in about 4 days...Yes that's right!  and he to some blood samples and told me I had a bacterial infection in my intestine probably of something I ate in Bolivia....haha  quick to blame them! he gave me a prescription for antibiotics and many other tablets and I woke feeling much better the next day I think the fist thing I said was "I'm hungry".  We headed to the bus station to book our bus to Cusco for the following day.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: