Kilimanjaro Packing List
Trip Start Feb 15, 2008
9Trip End Feb 25, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
* Good walking boots - I had Raichle and they were more than adequate
* Thick and thin woolen socks x lots - very important, esp on summit night
* 4 season sleeping bag - it really does get cold at night so dont skimp on this
* Thermarest - some people hired mattresses which apparently were a bit smelly
* Small pillow
* Down Jacket with hood - I had a North Face Greenland Jacket which was pretty warm
* Shorts x 1
* Long trousers x 1
* Short sleeve tops x 3 - dont take light colours, they get filthy
* Thermal long sleeve tops - I took 4 of varying thickness and wore all of them on summit night. Icebreaker woollen ones are good as they dont smell!
* Thermal legs - good for sleeping in and on summit night
* Track pants - to wear around camp
* Trainers - to wear around camp
* Camelbak - although even with hose insulation it still froze on summit night
* Extra water bottle - you need to drink a minimum of 3 litres a day
* Walking poles
* Broad rimmed hat
* Wash cloth
* Balaclava and beanie - you really did need 2 hats on summit night
* Ski gloves
* Thinner gloves - for lower altitudes and to wear under ski gloves
* Medications, blister treatments etc
* Toilet paper x lots
* Disinfectant hand wipes/gel
* Basic toiletries - toothbrush/paste, soap - you wont have use for much else!
* Ski trousers - you could probably get away with thermals, long trousers and windproof pants on top
* Small towel
* Sleeping bag liner - adds an extra layer of warmth
* Neck scarf
* Headscarf to wear when your hair gets too greasy!
What I took but didnt use:
* Goretex rain jacket and trousers (it didnt rain once)
* Chemical hand warmers
* Book - I was always too tired to read!
* Diamox - everyone had it with them, but only 2 in our group took it, and neither of them made it to the summit
I packed it all in a 70L rucksack and had a 40L daypack with me too.