Sightseeing in Georgetown, Penang
Trip Start Jan 23, 2007
154Trip End Jul 31, 2007
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
First of all headed to the tallest building in Penang, the Tower Place. Here we went up in the lift to the 60th floor and were amazed to see no other tourists!! However we did get good views all over Penang and so used the opportunity get our bearings and work out where everything we wanted to go was situated.
Next we headed to the mall but were surprised to only see a few shops that we recognised. Tommy managed to get a good price on a memory card so bought one of those so we can now take even more pictures!
After lunch headed to Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion for our tour. Was really interesting as this guy had built his house based on Feng Sui and so the crazy chinese tour guide filled us in on the rights and wrongs of Feng Sui. Turns out that most the western takes on it are completely wrong and it is not about buying certain things to put in certain places at all. The main things I grasped was that:
1. You must not have a road running in line with your front door
2. You must be able to see the sky from your front door, i.e it cannot be blocked by high rise buildings
3. Water means weath so you should have a way for it to get into your house. However one must also give and not always take so there should be a way for it to get out as well. Cruically, though you should allow more in than goes out so that eventually you get wealthy!!
4. The house should be symetrical
5. You should not be able to see directly from the front door through to the back door
Was actually really interesting! Afterwards headed to the old colonial part of Georgetown where we took a pic of the Eastern and Oriental Hotel (E&O) before heading onto Fort Cornwallis. This is the fort built by Francis Light to mark the place where he had landed on his way over from England. Tom enjoyed seeing the cannons and moat!
Last stop was the Clocktower before heading back to the hotel. Realised that the group was meeting in 10 minutes to go out for supper so after a speedy shower we were on our way out again!! Went out to a local cafe and had some mexican food. The slightly worrying part about it was that there were rats and loose chickens running around :s!! The rats however were not as large as the dog like rat we had seen the night before, now that was scary!! After that it was another early night as leaving early for the Cameron Highlands.