Observations so far....
Trip Start Jun 02, 2013
42Trip End Jul 12, 2013
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Jet lag is HARD! We do okay until mid afternoon, then it's all downhill! We are definitely learning what our daily challenges are. The language barrier is obviously the biggest. It limits everything we do from trying to interact with people to ordering food at a restaurant. I think it got to all of us today.
Michael has some feelers out to find a guide for us to take us around.
A few observations so far:
1. Weather: It is gray and overcast. If you have blue skies and sunshine, appreciate it!
2. With so many people to employ, China has to be creative in its job creation. For example in the stores, each department has 2-3 people ready to serve you. Very different than Home Depot on a Saturday :)
3. There are specialty tea shops everywhere.
4. Even when people know we don't speak Chinese, they keep on talking.
5. The girls are using the Chinese they learned from their tutor (thanks Wenny!!) and receive lots of smiles for trying.
6. People assume I must be the nanny. When I say Mom, they immediately respond with "Dad Chinese?" When I answer "No", they are totally perplexed. I am printing out a new info card that explains that the girls were born here and adopted by us.
7. We found our complex's outdoor exercise space, complete with ping pong tables.
8. Our neighborhood really comes to life around 4 when the kids are home from school and everyone is walking around, riding scooters and visiting. We actually saw 2 Western Moms today.
9. When you purchase something at a store, bags are not provided. They have to be bought.
10. L&C have noticed that there are many smokers.
11. Grandparents seem to be primary caretakers during the day.