Cruisin through Nakuru National park

Trip Start Mar 20, 2012
Trip End Oct 16, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Kenya  ,
Wednesday, April 25, 2012

We were up early for a 6am game drive.  Nakuru is quite a small game park when you compare it to the Massi Mara or Serengetti, but is renowned for its bird viewing and has a big Rhino population.  There is a soda lake in the middle of the park that is home to thousands of flamingos at certain times of the year.  As we cruised around we saw more pelicans than flamingos tho, but there are beautiful reflections off the still water.  It didn't take us long to find our first Rhino.  They are really big when you see then up close and in real life as they cross the road in front of you.  There were also hundreds of baboons in the trees and walking along the ground, some with babies clinging to them.  Up ontop of baboon cliffs there is a stunning view over the lake.  Further around the lake we stopped in at a lodge where we sat under an umbrella and took in the views out over the park.  Loads of giraffe were spotted as well as various antelope, zebra and black and white rhino as we continued on our animal viewing experience.  Down one road we saw some black and white colobus monkeys and a super tiny monkey sitting on a branch.For a change the following morning we got a later start than usual with the truck leaving at 9.30am which gave us a little bit of a sleep in.  As we slowly drove around a corner on the dirt road leaving the campsite the truck began to slide off the road.  Dixon, our driver, gave the truck a bit of oomf and the wheels spun as the truck slid further off the road and started to lean further and further over.  Everybody on board climbed out of the truck and watched as the truck skided backwards and forwards, but just sunk deeper into the mud.  We collected sticks to put under the tyres which didn't help at all.  Next idea was to collect rocks that we stacked into the mud, this helped a little, but still the truck wouldn't budge.  I don't know how, but with a combination of people pushing, branches, rocks and determination, 2 hours later we got the truck out.In Nakuru we stocked up on lunch for the next few days then headed for our campsite in Elderet.  So far camping we had been extra lucky as far as getting wet goes.  I would hear the rain pitter patter on the tent roof at night and always hope that it would stop by the time we got up and it always did.  In Elderet our luck ended and we arrived in the rain.  With rain jackets on, we broke the tent assembly records and headed for the shelter of the bar.  You head down, down, down a windy tunnel and come out into the most amazing bar of my life.  Its like a giant cave with a bridge over a steam, greenery growing from the walls, a fire place with a chimney going throught the roof and the bar was made of slices of tree trunk.  Only one night was to be spent in Elderet and we had a 6.30am start so only the odd beverage was downed in this awesome place.In the morning  the truck made its way out onto the main road without the same misshap as the day before.  It was our last drive in Kenya as we motored along the black tarmac towards the boarder with Uganda.  Its crazy how much everything changes as you cross the boarder.  The scenery becomes a lot more like a tropical mountinous jungle compared to the wide open plains with trees dotted over them in Kenya.  Even the style of houses change and the roads are a reder sticky clay, but the kids still love to wave.  The truck powered us towards our next stop, Jinja.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: