The Massi marra and Massi

Trip Start Mar 20, 2012
Trip End Oct 16, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Kenya  , Rift Valley,
Sunday, April 29, 2012

Ryan was assigned the role of fire starter on our roster and my group were on cooking which meant up at 5am to disassemble our tent and put everything away before organising breakfast to leave at 6.15am.  We drove quite some time before stopping for lunch on the side of a dirt road before driving a little further to experienced a Massai Village.  They are all dressed in tribal clothing and jewellery and began by doing a dance for us, of which they got the boys involved in.  We got to see the houses, which are built by the woman as a man can have many wives and each wife has a house.  Also got to check out how they make a fire and where they keep their stock at night so the wildlife doesn't get them.  It was quite interesting though I felt they have been largely influenced by the outside world i.e. one of the men answered his cellphone when doing the traditional dance.  We left there and headed for our first game drive through the Massai Mara game park.  Saw mainly animals that are out at all stages of the day i.e. Thompson Gazel, wildebeest, zebra, a hyena and elephant.  The campsite we were to spend the night at was in the middle of the game park so we turned up and organised ourselves for the night.  Due to the location of the campsite we were warned to be careful wandering round due to the wild animals; I saw just the baboons but other girls stated they heard the hippos breathing and walking round.  The next morning was another early start to check out the game on the way back through the park; this is a better time to do a game drive as its cooler so more animals are out, which we found out when we spotted some lions stalking gazel. Unfortunately we interupted them so they left.  Also saw elephant with an infant in tow, must have been only a few weeks old judging by the size of it.  Rach, one of english girls on our trip (We have two Rachel's so refer to one as Rach and the other as Rachel) had gone on a balloon safari so we waited at the gate to the park for her to arrive; where we got harrassed by local woman selling trinkets.  We then drove to Narok where we stopped at the supermarket then continued to Naivasha where we camped at Crayfish Campsite.We decided to do a game walk so were up and gone around 8am.  We stopped by the lake to see the flamingos.  Then drove a rather bumpy road to another game park.  I had to use the toilet which turned out to be a hole in the concrete floor to squat over; not my proudest moment but the toilets are one the great tests of africa so far.  Went walking with our guide and got to see warthogs, eland, Thompson gazel, zebra, baboons and giraffe all quite close.  There were also buffelo which the guide steared clear of as they are the second most dangerous animal in africa for killing people.  When we walked back along the road to meet our van we found it with the front wheel in a hole; we pushed it out then filled the hole with rocks so it could get out.  Simon, our guide, then took us to a look out over a crater lake which was beautiful and home to just one hippo.  Off home we headed to find rain cancelling our afternoon hippo boat ride.  Damian, Ryan and I found shelter in the bar to be later joined by the rest of the crew and two american girls, who were joining the truck, where we stayed till it was time to head off to a local restaurant for dinner.  The dinner was very average; beef, rice, some bean concoction etc.  We missed out on our sleep in as we went off to enjoy a boat ride to check out the hippos.  Mainly hippo where spotted, all of whom were swimming just showing off their ears.  The crew left around 10am off to Naivasha supermarket to stoke up before heading to Lake Nakuru.  We did make a stop at Lake Elementaita for lunch where I met a really friendly gentleman with a pet camellian which he let me hold.  Then it was off to "Amazing Grace Childrens Home".  This orphanage only has 'Absolute Africa' that visits it.  It was an amazing experience to see an orphanage that is not influence by all the comercialism and was really down to earth.  The kids were on their way back from their religious teaching so we were shown around.  It was quite run down but was home with the animals and dorms.  The children arrived and introduced themselves.  We then played games with them; Ryan was greatly adored by the children, mainly one little girl who only spoke swahili and would try order him around with him trying so hard to accomodate.  Afterward was a mad rush to put the tents up at the campsite to beat the rain.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: