Day 3: A Day at the Zoo
Trip Start May 03, 2012
12Trip End May 13, 2012
Fun Facts: Taronga Zoo
- Taronga Zoo is home to over 2,600 animals!
- Those 2,600 animals consist of 340 species, including a wide range of native Australian animals and non-native ones.
- In 2003, Taronga Zoo became the second zoo in Australia and the world to successively breed the platypus.
- In 2009, a male Asian elephant called Luk Chai was born, the first ever calf to be born in Australia.
- The Taronga Conservation Society Australia manages the zoo and it's sister zoo Dubbo Western Plains Zoo which is located near Dubbo, NSW.
- Taronga Zoo is divided into 8 zoogeographic locations and is spread over 21 hectares or 54 acres, making it one of the largest zoos of it's kind.
- Taronga Zoo has been open since 1916 and has only ever closed twice.