Music and passion were always the fashion

Trip Start Nov 25, 2010
Trip End Nov 24, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Our aim was to go directly to Cusco, arriving a day early before Kat got there.  Unfortunately when we got to the bus station it turned out that there were problems in Peru and the border was closed.  I made it in there without a passport only a few days ago!

Ok so if we can't get into Peru, we can go part of the way.  Copacobana was right near the border, and busses were running there, so that became our destination.  The journey was only a few hours and we made it there to discover that the border was definitely closed for 2 days.  So we booked a room and wandered around town.  It's right on Lake Titicaca at 3800m so back up high again.  We climbed up the local hill which was a massive effort.  I was beginning to realize that Leanne had absolutely no problems with altitude seemingly able to adapt in minutes.  Arriving at La Paz she wasn't out of breath at all, and not here either.  

Copacobana is nice, but it's a bit touristy.  With unused animal shaped padddle boats lining the shore.  We ate dinner then decided to go to Isla del Sol the next day if the border still had problems.

Isla Del Sol is the birth place of the Inca Sun God, with the smaller neighbouring island Isla del Luna the birth place of the moon.  It was another amazing boat ride across Lake Titicaca and then a not too disimilar island to the ones I've been on previously.  Absolutely beautiful and tranquil.  We had a guide take us around for a couple of hours, up the massive hills.  I was less out of breath than everyone except Leanne.  I nicknamed her the Lung.  At one point we made it to a tomb where they made offerings to the Sun God and it was quite special.  You could see out to Isla del Luna and it all the mysticism employed was talked about, quite a special place.

Back down to the boat I really didn't want to leave and wish we'd managed to stay on the island longer, but we had a bus to catch.  It was an overnight journey, but the border took ages, longer than I'd had anywhere else.  Finally made it out of Bolivia permanently!  On the journey we were stopped several times by protestors and the driver had to do a whip around the bus making a collection for them to let us pass!  Apparently this is quite a regular occurance!  Evidently the government here has as many problems as it does in Bolivia...
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: