Sleeping Through Mexico
Trip Start Mar 11, 2011
217Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
Don't mind us, just passing through
What exhausted Mr Lee so much in Mexico? Where do we start?! There is just so much that kept us stimulated and entertained in every waking moment!
The people. The food. The culture. The natural beauty. The variety.
WE LOVE MEXICO!
We could go on but you really have to read the all the entries
You will just have to go and experience it for yourself! Nothing we could say here would do the country justice. Having visited more than 20 countries in our lifetimes we unanimously agree, without a doubt, Mexico is our NUMBER ONE TRAVEL DESTINATION!!
Even after nearly 5 months we didn't tire of it. Each day there was something new to discover. Plus for Dee, it was here that her Spanish speaking enough to make her first friends almost exclusively Spanish. Tengo mucho amor para todos!
So in anticipation of this final Mexico blog we realised how tough it would be to narrow it down to a handful of highlights. There were just too many! But after much deliberation here are our top 10 places in chronological order (because ranking them would be near impossible):
1. Palenque for Indiana Jones style Mayan ruins
2. San Juan Chamulin for a proper culture shock
3. Oaxaca for food and awesome markets
4. Sayulita (off-season!) for small-town surfing and the best fish tacos ever!
5. Baja California for Hollywood Mexico in a campervan
6. El Fuerte for the awe-inspiring Copper Canyon
7. Zacatecas for prettiness, a super-social hostel vibe and friendly locals
9. Cuzama for the best underground experience in remote cenotes
10. Isla Holbox for kicking back with a Mex-Carribean vibe
11. Akumal for swimming with turtles right off the coast!
Soppy as it sounds, I finally understand what it means to be "in love" with a country. There's no better way to describe it. And yes we'll definitely be back. We have no choice. The heart wants what the heart wants!
Average spend per person per day = 18.90 pounds