Smoky. Real Smoky.
Trip Start Aug 18, 2009
4Trip End Aug 23, 2009
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
- We woke up and spending a few hours checking out the Islands in the Sky section of Canyonlands National Park, we got back on the road and drove west.
- We stopped for a snack and sat under the shade of the cottonwood trees as a Capitol Reef National Park ranger told us about some indian paintings on the wall and how a troop of Boy Scouts had defaced a series of similar paintings nearby. Do they give badges for that?
- I listened to some serious bluegrass as I drove us up Utah's Grand Staircase and Boulder Mountain while everyone else slept. When they woke up we stopped at a gas station, drank Red Bull knock offs, and questioned the attendants about the nearby polygamist population
- After setting up camp in Bryce, we walked to the canyon's edge to find a thick haze from nearby forest fires. The heavy smoke made for some interesting colors and photos.
- After campfire-made fajitas and microbrews, we contributed to the haze and walked back to the canyon at night. I still have no idea how we didn't fall over the ledge, much less make it back to the campsite. The goddamn canyon was talking to me.
- A morning of omelets, a hike through the highlights of Bryce Canyon under a smoke-free sky that was as blue as I've ever seen, polarization, and off to holy mount Zion.
- Chilling in the Zion National Park's Virgin River and not finding any.
- Finally arriving in Vegas, baby, Vegas, and not finding any there, either.