When I thought I couldn’t like Dar any less
Trip Start Apr 08, 2010
113Trip End Mar 11, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
1) 5am wake up call (not so unusual when we’re camping…but painful after several days of leisure!)
2) Horrible, horrible ferry ride back to Dar Es Salaam. The boat was fine on the way out to Zanzibar, but the waves were absolutely huge going back. There were many many seasick people (and it’s an indoor ferry…this was highly unpleasant).
3) In Dar Es Salaam, had to pay to use what I think is the most disgusting bathroom I’ve ever seen. This is an extreme statement coming from someone that’s been camping in Africa for more than a month.
5) A bit of chaos. The police arrived. There was lots of discussion…our whole truck was eventually taken to the police station. Long long wait…stories…finger pointing…paper work…jail threats…and eventually a boatload of $$$ paid.
6) Back on the road for another 10 hours of driving or so…ack. We were all completely dead tired. I have no idea how our tour leaders made it through the day.
The next morning they let us sleep in a bit, and we woke up (in the light!) to quite an amazing campsite on the Ruaha River in Baobob Valley. There were baobob trees everywhere, and monkeys that kept trying to steal our breakfast. We took cheesy pictures with the trees and spirits improved quite a bit.