Day 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 - RELAXATION +
Trip Start Jul 21, 2010
17Trip End Aug 26, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Day 22 - We get back from our trip to Morocco and Gebraltar and I WORK. I have several new projects in the works, and having been gone from the apartment for so long, I end up spending the entire day and evening working working working, while the rest of the fam goes to the local Plaza Mayor for some food and shopping.
Day 23 - Off to Malaga for our first day at the secondary location of the August Feria
Day 24 - Lounging at the beach ... and our first chance to meet Inigo's sister ... Irena. They look so much like each other! The apartment we've been lent for our stay is where she used to live before she moved back to the heart of Malaga. ... Swimming all day at the beach, lunch, then more swimming at the pool downstairs. Whats becoming a typical routine for us here!
Day 25 - ... This is Saturday, August 21, 2010 ... and will go down as our greatest culinary day in the south of Spain! ... I've begged and pleaded and Inigo's parents are willing to have us over for lunch! YES!!!! .... .... they picked Saturday because they have local markets that offer fresh meat and produce ... ... we meet them at their home ... and ... droool ... the memories. So good. ... They each picked one of their favorite foods from the area and made it from scratch! I can remember six distinct items, ...
1) Fresh, raw salmon - marinated overnight with sea salt and herbs, then carved, and served with minced garlic and capers and mustard and bread ... the best raw salmon I've ever had
2) A crazy potato / orange / TUNA salad ... When I saw this, I was nervous. It looked fine enough, but who in their right mind puts potatoes, oranges, tuna, and onions in the same bowl??! .. Turns out I was wrong. SOOOO GOOD!. The only way to eat it though, is you have to force your mind to abandoned all references to the ingredients. If you are expecting the taste of orange when you bite that orange, you are in for a rude surprise. . Same with the tuna. ... ... but once your mind is clear ... SO GOOD. I had three servings.
3) Fresh, sliced tomatoes ....
4) Sweet Kous Kous ... I don't know how they knew, but one of our disappointments that we realized after we left Morocco was that we didn't taste their world renowned kous kous. ... Despite the fact that I HATE kous kous and NEVER eat it, I wanted to try it. ... Well, here was my opporunity. ... And it was GREAT! ... Sweetened with sugar and cinnamon? ... raisens ... mmmmmmm.... yummy!
5) Migas - ... This was awesome! When we tried it for the first time at the restaurant, Inigo promised us his was better and weren't lyin
6) With the migas ... albondigas! home made with an amazing sauce.
7) Dessert! ... freshly made pastries made for the fair!
8) add coffee and tea ... ...
.... ..... I couldn't help it. At some point in the conversation, I excused myself to stumble down the hallyway and crashed on Diana's bed ... sleepytime.
When I woke up ... we kept on talkin and laughing with Inigo's family. Celebrating his father's sale of his company earlier in the week. He is officially RETIRED! YAY!
Later, in the early evening, we all got our bathing suits on and headed to the beach for the world famous tsunami of Malaga. .... Every night, at 7:30pm, a big ferry cruises by in to the harbor, and creates gigantic swells ..
Before we head home for the night, ... we decide now is a good opportunity for the last item on my culinary list ... something we'd seen earlier in the trip ... BAKED POTATOES, Spanish style! ... That doesn't sound all that great, but trust me, it was amazing. Freshly baked potatoes with all sorts of junk in it. Think Subway, but with baked potatoes ... all kinds of sauces, corn, chicken, veggies, .... SO GOOD!!!!!
Day 26 - a break from the beach! ... ... Today we skip the ocean and pool ... and instead catch the train to Plaza Mayor and watch movies in English! Yes! ... Janice, Ella, and I watch Toy Story 3 ... Simon and Sam watch Shrek 4. .... I get to eat my favorite Plaza Mayor food ... this simple noodle house, they have only two types of noodles, ... you choose if you want pasta or chicken or beef or seafood ... and bam! Good grub! .... At night, Simon watches the kids, Diana is babysat by Inigo's parents, ... and the four of us adults go out for dinner and drinks together (my favorite restaurant in Torremolino city center) ... Its a great night out talking about trivial things and deep things. We are in love with Inigo and Jaione. Its really amazing that we were so fortunate to have met them through the internet so randomly! Its suprising that we've all become such close friends in the short amount of time we've know each other and from across the globe. ....
Day 27 - Beach day ... Inigo and Jaione and Diana and Inigo's sister Irena come to meet us and enjoy the beach and pool with us. After swimming a bit, we get cleaned up and all go out for Italian food. Simon gets to see what Janice is like after a couple quick glass of wine ... .... (she was SURE it was him who was acting crazy) ... Afterwards, we spend an hour or more on the lawn outside the restaurant talking with each other
Back to the apartment, and we say our goodbye to our loved and cherished friends ... our crazy Spanish family ... .... we love them!
Day 28 - Beach + Pool + Cleaning + Packing ... for tomorrow we leave at 5am from the apartment! We've been getting up at 11am and nooon each day. this is gunna HURT!