Burned between the palms

Trip Start Dec 30, 2006
Trip End Jan 19, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
What I did
Parque Nacional El Palmar

Flag of Argentina  , Entre Ríos,
Thursday, January 18, 2007

It wasn't so easy to hitchhike there, but after more than an hour, a family took me to the National Park entrance. I entered the park, but I didn’t know that the path inside of it wasn’t prepared to be walked. Luckily the truck which provided vegetables to the restaurant brought me to the river side.
I visited the Jesuitical ruins. They consist on old ovens used to prepare lime. There are banners with the story of those people and their lime factory.
After the ruins I went to the very beautiful beach by Uruguay River. On the other side of the river, there’s the Uruguayan coast. It was very quiet as there wasn’t anyone at that time, so it was very relaxing being there. I got in the river and enjoyed the water. There were plenty of fishes there, perhaps because there weren’t any people but me.
The bad part of the excursion was that I had to walk about 28 kilometers back if I couldn’t find any vehicle to bring me back.
On the first part I enjoyed the walk a lot. It was full of yatay palms (the National Park exists basically to preserve this species). I wanted to see some animals but I couldn’t.
But as the time was running, I started to enjoy it less… It was noon and there weren’t any shadows as the top of the palms were tiny. It was very hot and I was burned by the heating sun.
I was almost outside the park at 15:25, where the girls on the entrance office of the park told me that I had just lost the bus so I had to wait for two hours to catch the next one. I was so tired that I tried to hitch hike but the sun was treating me very badly. I asked the girls for some water, and they told me to stay with them until the next bus came. They invited me some tereré and I felt much better. I spend the time talking with them about anything and took the next bus.
When I arrived in Colón, everything hurt me. I was badly burned and I wasn’t feeling well. That’s why I desisted to keep on finding somewhere to sleep and I bought my ticket back for that night.
Apart from that I hadn’t much more money. So I left my backpack on the bus station and went for a walk.
I knew that Flor, a very good friend of mine from Rosario was staying there that week, so I called them and asked her to go for a walk. She invited me to go with her family and have a very good asado… It made me feel much better. I had a very nice evening with her family, and after that I stayed talking with her and her sister until it was time to go.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: