Reservations...

Trip Start Unknown
1
3
36
Trip End Ongoing


Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
shadow
Where I stayed
still home

Flag of United States  , Michigan
Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The shock of not going through culture shock is starting to get comfortable. Friends and family are always asking for an update -- when are you going? what is the status? ...And we have gotten used to saying who knows!?!
When my sister-in-law was closer to having flight reservations for her visit than we were, I started to nag (a lot). It kind of paid off. My nagging --> Brian's asking -->uncovered some information about how difficult visas are to come by in Zurich these days. Apparently there is a big corporate to do about some newly passed laws making work visa acquisition much more difficult. Why this was not shared with us on the onset, we are still not sure.

Would they still honor the negotiated contract if we were to come for fewer months? Would it even be worth it? Are they still interrested? Are we still interested ourselves?

Yes...but.

We've quietly stopped trying to learn German. We've raided the packed items to start using the stuff we thought we would have shipped by now. We've inquired about the status, and have been kindly told that we should keep waiting, though that an answer is expected very soon.

August has been hot and predictable around here. We have spent many days at the pool, visiting with family, and talking about the risks and benefits of cancelling the Swiss thing all together. In fact, K admitted that she really only wanted to go to Switzerland to get out of swimming at Championships (which she aced, by the way!), and that now she would just rather get back to being a regular 11 year old.

So one weekend morning Brian and I gathered the girls on the deck, and discussed the whole thing over breakfast. We listed and ranked our reasons for going and not going, and surprisingly, we all agreed that we very much still want to go.

But then went on to live like we probably would not.

I keep saying that this is a wonderful opportunity, and if all I have to be is patient. I can do that. Sure, I've stopped working, and my car lease is a bit of an issue, and we can't make any plans that are more than a few weeks out... but its summer. Being flexible is just par for the course. Besides, i have learned a bit about living for the moment and planning for what is right in front of me.

But once the transition back to school starts, my patience may evaporate...

News today is that we probably won't have to worry about that.

Brian received confirmation that the Visas are being approved. Nothing in writing, but a definite step in the right direction. Swiss authorities should have documentation to the US in a week or so!

Then why is my stomach all in knots??

I want to go, I am excited about the opportunity and adventure for my family... RIGHT????
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: