Top 10 List
Trip Start May 04, 2011
125Trip End Oct 08, 2012
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
1. Crowds: With a counted 1.3 billion habitants, there is very little solitude in China. Add visiting tourist attractions and the number multiplies exponentially. This innate lack of personal space combined with cutting in line and physical pushing equals a disaster when visiting somewhere like the Forbidden City during a Chinese holiday. No surprise I was pick pocketed.
2. Personal Space: It goes beyond lacking; the concept plainly does not exist in the Chinese culture. I witnessed women carrying children be pushed off the metro. Included in this category is the need to shout when speaking to the person next to them or worse when on a cell phone in a confined space.
3. Waiting in Line: This is a grey area, although most will start a queue, it is quite normal and acceptable for others to cut right to the front with no consideration. The elderly are particularly to blame and due to the high level of respect for their elders, no one dares to refute them.
4. Chinese Bikini: One visual I could do without is the Chinese bikini. Seen first in Beijing but not exclusively. men of all ages walk around with their shirts folded up at their chest, exposing their flabby bellies.
5. Nose Cleansing: I don't mean the one nostril forceful clear like we do off the bike, I mean blatant finger up the nose in all public places, even while engaged in conversation with others.
6. Food: Seen in my photographs the Chinese eat the most exotic foods. Almost worse than the fried insects are the dehydrated packages of chicken feet. I’d be happy if I never have to smell the staunch of these mysterious jerkies again.
7. Talking Calculator: Annoying but humorous, I laughed every time I heard the female voice count in Chinese.
8. Slow internet connection and censorship
9. Obsession with panda bears
10. Inflated price with intention to bargain
11.Couples wearing matching outfits
12, Hocking up phlegm: Even after 6 weeks touring the country, the one manner that gets my attention every time, is the loud, long snorting of mucous to make for a thick phlegmy spit. Sometimes an effort is made to shoot out the window but why bother when the floor is an easier target.