Trip Start Oct 17, 2007
44Trip End Oct 16, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
After a year of vivid colour everything here seems to be in various shades of grey and brown - no colourful parrots, red dust or turquoise water. Occasionally the sun comes out and we peel off one of our three jumpers, look out at the Autumn leaves and tell ourselves it's not all bad, we only have to fight off the sniffles, find jobs, buy a house, buy a car and get used to living in the real world again.
Some of the things we're missing most from our travels are:
2. Being on holiday
3. Gorgeous beaches and the sea
4. Friendly Aussie locals
5. Interesting (if deadly) wildlife
6. Colourful landscapes and huge open spaces
7. Always seeing something new
8. National pride
9. Places (shops etc) closing at weekends so that families can spend time together
10. Taking pictures, writing Travelpods and sharing our experiences
And the things we're not missing in any way, shape or form:
2. Hostel kitchens
3. Living out of a suitcase
4. Long drop outback dunnies
5. Nasty eight legged things
6. Lack of pavements - nobody walks anywhere!
7. Incredibly expensive fresh food
8. Excessive drinking culture
9. Being thousands of miles away from family and friends
10. Cold water top loading washing machines - they're rubbish!
For the boffins among you, over the course of our trip we've flown roughly 38713km (23228miles) and travelled over 16000km (9600miles) by road which works out at an average "movement" of 150km (90miles) every day. That doesn't include any distances covered by helicopter, boat, train, hovercraft, motorbike, foot, cable car, bicycle, canoe, toboggan, camel, body board or parachute. No wonder we need a holiday to recover!
As you've probably noticed we had an absolute blast and we loved being able to let you all see what we were up to. Thank you so much for sticking with us and not forgetting about us while we were so far away.
We'll leave you with a quote from John Lennon that we found in one of our camper vans
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." Enjoy.