Frosty Nights

Trip Start Sep 09, 2004
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Thursday, June 9, 2005

Last night was a classic. After turning in fairly early, I discovered (much to my horror) that the van heater had conveniently packed up. I don't have the words to describe my 'far from cosy' evening. Taking the best action I could I dressed in full thermals, insulated beanie pulled right down over my eyes and ears and wrapped myself up as tightly as possible in the duvet. It hardly made a difference. If I'd been game enough to brave it, I'd have taken a deep breath and gone rummaging for my sleeping bag. But it was tucked away out of access far too cryptically. Plus, I was clinging, only mildly shivering, to the feint pulse of warmth that I'd so far created. It was the only warmth I was going to get and I couldn't for the life of me find my invisible friend. The weather had timed and positioned itself perfectly too. A nice, crisp ground frost had settled in quite comfortably at some point during the early hours. This morning after crunching myself out of bed and warming myself up with steaming hot tea and scrambled eggs, I learned that it had actually dropped to minus five degrees last night. Well what a coincidence. I actually wiped ice from the insides of the windows this morning before driving in to town to get a new heater!

I've spent a bit of time over the last few days in Dunedin meandering around town, catching up with bits and pieces and the usual net stuff - emails and uploading travelogue pics. I got an email from Helen (sister of Robin who I'd met on the North West Circuit.) She'd just sent a message to say hi and to ask how the rest of the trek had gone. She also informed me of Robin's current condition. Turns out the old bugger had broken a rib. Three, in total and he'd also managed to puncture a lung. He nearly didn't make it. I couldn't believe it.

It's been about two weeks since the North West Circuit and my feet are still coming out in all sorts of bruises and skin complaints, like a delayed reaction or something. I must have really give em' a pounding.

Shiny called yesterday. It seems that we're both in a predicament. She's currently out and about, gallivanting around the countryside in Dave (Traoine and Chicken's van), having a bit of quality 'time out' to chill for a while and to make a big decision. She's been offered a job to manage the hostel (where they all stay) through the winter season. Which is great, really great, but she's also whole-heartedly ready to move on to Oz which if you remember, is so, so overdue. She postponed Oz twice around the time that she was travelling with me just after I'd bought 'me beaut' and we'd driven to Akaroa. So another tough decision presents itself. We caught up a little and spoke of gut instincts and going with them, and agreed to speak soon. There is still so much to catch up on. Discussing Shiny's dilemma yesterday probably helped me solve my own little predicament. The other thing I've been looking into of late is the local job scene. I'd decided a few weeks ago that when I arrived in Dunedin I'd check out the job scene. After all it's long overdue. I'm living tight alright but I've still gotta make the most of things. Originally, I'd decided that if things weren't looking good in Dunedin, I'd move on to Christchurch. Well after another good delving today, it wasn't looking good. Plus, over the last few days my gut instinct has pretty much made my mind up for me and after speaking with Shiny, the decision just came to me. It feels totally, totally right now and so I'll leave it be. I even feel a sense of happiness and excitement. Tomorrow, I leave for Christchurch.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: