Wassup Doc!

Trip Start Sep 09, 2004
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Sunday, March 27, 2005

Brett got me an appointment this morning after we were chatting and he'd enquired about my foot. I told him I was going to see the doctor. I was eating scrambled eggs at the time. He disappeared momentarily and returned to tell me that I was booked in at 10.45. He's like that. After a long wait in the waiting room I saw the doc. I told him about the Kepler track, my hefty pack and the pain in my ankle and after squeezing his two thumbs right into the base of my foot for a while he'd made his conclusion. He never actually hit the spot that would have sent me through the roof but he said he knew where the pain was. He was particularly interested to hear that the original ankle pain presented itself the morning after arriving at the Iris Burn hut. He reckoned I'd damaged the '4th Metatarsal Head' in my foot as a result of walking from the Iris Burn in such a way as to compensate for the pain in my ankle. The pain in my foot therefore presenting itself a couple of days later. So in short, I put too much weight through the outside area of my foot and am now paying the price. He suggested that I invest in a 'metatarsal dome' - some sort of pad to place under the front of the arch to help with my mobility over the next few days. He then started to write a prescription for some anti-inflammatory tablets. I said that I didn't want any as a lot of the pain had eased over the last couple of days and was still showing improvement so there was really no need, especially considering the extra hefty cost it would have meant. I said the same to the foot cushion thing. After all, I've become an expert in the art of one foot hobbling now and have been successfully keeping all my weight off the wounded one. He agreed that by resting it up over the next few days it would heal and that basically I had just exerted too much pressure through it. I was in there a matter of minutes. He saw me on my way and I gave the report to the receptionist - 'That'll be seventy dollars thank you.'
Great. I handed it over. 'You have a great day now'. Great. You too.

When I got back, Brett and Brad couldn't believe they charged seventy dollars. Apparently it's usually forty dollars. I dunno, Easter? My luck? So anyway that's it. That's the conclusion and the situation. At first it didn't make any sense as to what happened to me in Wanaka when I woke up with that exact same pain. But thinking about it and looking back, two days before that morning we had took that short, steep trek in Mount Cook to see the Tasman Glacier. I had no weight to carry other than my own and it wasn't a particularly strenuous climb, but I do remember bounding back down the rocks quite enthusiastically in my own little world. Maybe I put too much weight through my '4th metatarsal head' then? Who knows? So from here, I guess all I can do is take more care in the future. I've certainly learned not to over pack like that again! That was just loony.

'That'll be seventy dollars thank you' (!)
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: