Bum around Flagstaff and near death experience

Trip Start Jun 01, 2011
Trip End Jul 31, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Black Barts RV Park
What I did
Bum around Flagstaff

Flag of United States  , Arizona
Sunday, June 26, 2011

After our 250 mile jaunt yesterday it was time just to hang around Flagstaff. I've always heard it was a really cool city. After eating at the Himalayan Grill the other day I have to agree. Around 10 I took Pooh to the Hair Cuttery in town for what turned out to be one of her best. Latter on in the morning I went on my own to the Museum of Northern Arizona. It is a small place but the building is really cool – low slung and made out of rock which blends in well to the landscape. Most of the museum is about the Native Americans of the area with their clay pots, rugs, figurines, and many other things. A small part of the museum is dedicated to the geology of the area. Outside the museum was a two mile nature trail in and out of this small canyon called the Flagstaff River or the Rio de Flag.

After the museum I drove a few miles to downtown Flagstaff and walked there for just over an hour. It was hard to find parking on the street since I was driving the big truck. My SMART car would not have a problem. So I parked a few blocks away where there were very few cars. From all the food I’d eaten I needed the walk. My first stop was the Route 66 convenience store where I found a bottle of Cheerwine which was one of the first cherry cokes on the market. Downtown Flagstaff was one of the coolest places since Athens Georgia. There were many small cool stores and boutiques and I went into most of them. The restaurants seemed really good too. Of course being so close to the mountains and Grand Canyon there were several outdoor stores.

After downtown I went back to the RV to chill out for the afternoon. We had our leftover Indian meal from the other day which was just as good as the original and just as filling. Around 3:30 we took the truck to another national monument – Walnut Canyon. This is just 15 min. outside Flagstaff. This is a little like the Gila Cliff Dwellings where the Native Americans built houses on the side of a canyon. Here, you took around 200 steps from the top to about halfway down the canyon. It closed at 5:00 so we had to hurry a little. Beside the Native American context, the views of the canyon were awesome. Yes, after the Grand Canyon this seems really small, but in any other state this is a major canyon. If your ever in Flagstaff this is a good place to spend a few hours.

After Walnut Canyon it was time for dinner. Our first choice was this Vietnamese place, but it was closed. So our second choice was this highly rated Thai place just outside of downtown. Again, since it was downtown, it was hard to find a place to park. Just had to walk a few blocks to get there. The restaurant was pretty crowded but I looked as that as a sign of a good place. First we ordered a sample appetizer plate which was pretty good. Then we waited on our dinner. And waited, and waited. For 30 min. our waitress did not even come to re-fill my water. An hour after ordering we finally went up front and paid for our appetizer and left. They said they got hit hard for dinner and the cooks were working hard. But the fact that our waitress had abandoned us took the cake. I’m usually a patient person – I do teach 7th grade – but an hour was just too much. So this highly rated place will not get a good rating from me. So we drove back to the RV highly ticked off. Of all the great restaurants in Flagstaff I had to pick the one that would take forever. Since we were upset we had lost our appetite and it was late on a Sunday night. We went back to the RV where I dropped off Pooh and I was going to go to McDonalds to get a little something and do some uploading.

I circled around the park to head out. Pooh thought I’d already left so she let out Quique. Quique saw my truck and started running after me super fast. I did not see her as it was night and I was already on the road. Just outside McDonalds – it is only half a mile from the campground – Pooh called me on the cell screaming. I thought she said a car had hit Quique. So I circled around the McDonald’s parking lot and raced back to the RV thinking Quique was a goner. Back at the RV I found Pooja bawling her eyes out, but then here comes Quique from behind her all fine. I was so relieved. Quique did chase my truck out in the middle of the highway and came within an inch of getting hit by a car. She really did use up one of her lives today. We are so lucky to have Quique today. After that traumatic episode I stayed in for the night a cooked me a canned chili and went to bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: