Hluhluwe Game Reserve

Trip Start Apr 14, 2008
Trip End Jun 18, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hilltop Camp, Hluhluwe Game Reserve

Flag of South Africa  , KwaZulu-Natal,
Wednesday, June 11, 2008

We drove up to Mtubatuba to spend the night with our friends Brian and Brenda, and was impressed with the wonderful new road up to Zululand.   It is a double highway, but  you do have to go through three toll gates.   After Empangeni, the road becomes a single lanes, but everyone uses the emergency lane as the second lane!! It was so scary!!   We kept thinking "What the hell ... what happens if there is an emergency??"   Have become a real sook since living in Aussie.   Must admit though, got back into the speed zones, and happily zoomed along at 140!!

We drove into the game park at about 4ish, and didn't see much except a giraffe right on the road ..;. had to wait for it to amble across, and then a darling little warthog.    Our night ride left at 5, and we had about an hour of daylight.  We saw 13 wild dogs, which I believe is a rare sight in the park, as there are only about 30 in the whole 96 000 hectares.   Saw a rhino so up close that we almost reversed into him.   Other than a few hyenas, buffalo and buck, we didn't see much else, so was pleased that we were going off on a early morning ride again in the open sided truck.

We went for supper, and the main meat dish was warthog.   I took some, and had one bite, when I remembered that darling little warthog from the afternoon, and couldn't eat another mouthful!!   Shame ... darling little thing!!

We got up early (and I mean early!! ... 5.15) ready for the morning ride.   We didn't see much at first, but then came across a huge herd of elephants.  They were soooo close, that you can see in the pics Ashy's anorak, and the side of the truck!   It was fun!!!   Saw lots of giraffe, buck and buffalo.   The herds are not as big as they used to seem, but friends said that they have just had the big yearly game auction, and the animals always seem a bit skittish after the auction, as they use helicopters etc to round them up to put them in the bomas.    The stacks of rhino also seem to be a bit shy.

We came out of the park at lunch time, and went back through Mtuba, back to Brenda's.    Drove to St Lucia, which has become a very commercialised little seaside town.   Very nice, and seems to be where the Mtuba people now do all the shopping, banking etc, as Mtuba is soooo third world!

Drove back to Durbs on Friday morning, and took a short stop at the Sharks Cage (the Natal rugby teams shop), to buy a few things, before getting to my aunts house where we stayed until we left Natal.
Slideshow Report as Spam


gordonfreeman on

home welcome
AWnd now she is home, jiggety jig

What a wonderful diary you have produced.

What happens now. Is ip put into book form?

Great to have you home safe and sound.


Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: