The Trip Thus Far...
Trip Start Feb 02, 2010
19Trip End Feb 23, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
*The highlights thus far:
(sorry for any errors, just writing as fast as I can)
1)) I slept the full 4 1/2 hours from JFK to Port of Spain. They girls stayed up and watched movies. They were pretty beat once we arrived. Dana (Elise's ma) picked us up and we went to a friends house for DOUBLES (Trini breakfast).
Doubles is a common street food in Trinidad and Tobago. It is a sandwich made with two flat fried breads, called "bara" (hence the name "doubles"), filled with curried chick peas or garbanzo beans, commonly called channa (from Hindi/Bhojpuri "chanaa")mango, cucumber, coconut, tamarind) and extra pepper sauce (ranging from a dash "slight" to much more), this delicacy is undoubtedly the most popular fast food in Trinidad and Tobago. It is usually eaten for breakfast, but can be a late night snack as well. Vendors are usually out late on Fridays, weekends and particular days of the week-according to the area and their usual crowd.
The drive back was still about 1 1/2 hours at 10am. Usually it takes 35 minutes. Was busy, busy, busy.
2) Delta Flights have touch screens on the back of each seat. You can choose to watch movies, television shows, or satellite TV, listen to radio, or full albums, and play trivia against other passengers. I played games, and watched CLASSIC ESPN sports, which was a home run derby with Willie Mays and some Hodgson dude. Ole school stuff.
3) We left rain and arrived to rain. Was kinda funny. Cleared up pretty quick and then cloudy with sun. And man when the sun hits, it's hot. Kinda like the clouds actually keeps it a bit cool.
4) Since I've been here I've hit the gym twice, and Elise and I have gone for a nice run uphill with our friend Mike Hale. Was a 2.5 mile street that goes up to the mountains. Took 35 up (running and walking). 50 down (walking)
5) Elise's parents place is absolutely beautiful!!! We are right along the Ocean and oversee the outskirts of Port of Spain
6) We've had drinks at the following places thus far: SANDBAR, BROOKLYN BAR, STUDIO, HYATT and the CARIB'S RUGBY CLUB. Trinidad life involves drinking and liming, which is pretty much socializing over drinks. I bought a round (3 CARIB beers, and a RUM and COKE) yesterday and it came to $59.00 TT's. That is approximately $10.00 Canadian. Pretty sweet.
7) People I've seen/met thus far: MIKE HALE, REGGIE PATSY, ANDRE, THOMAS, and NARI.
Well that's it for now. The next entries will definitely be about more liming and hopefully some wining.