Mollestation, the military and melon

Trip Start Jun 01, 2010
Trip End Jun 01, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
At Nurettin's

Flag of Turkey  , Diyarbakir,
Friday, July 30, 2010

Lakeside dining was to my liking. Raki, fresh fruit and an assortment of other things were all consumed during the night.  As if great company in the form of Cen and Ceynurt was not enough the phosphorescent lake and the dimly illuminated mountains behind it was the icing on the cake. Its not very often that I stay in a hotel room so I decided to make the most of it. Air conditioning on full, shower used to the max. I think I got the most out of the room. I woke up the next morning to a telephone call, it wasn't a drug drop but rather Cen calling me for breakfast. Going to bed at three in the morning was late for me, but this was nothing to to Cen who was sorting out work problems till six in the morning. Its crazy, he works seven days a week and this is someone in a relatively senior position. As he stated its no wonder that a Raki session took place.

We drove from the hotel back to Madan in the morning and I was let loose. Unfortunately the first road that greeted me was gravel and there was so much dust that I couldn't breathe or see. To add to this the temperature was 43 degrees and I was climbing under the full glare of the sun. An hour passed and after sweating out the entire water content of my body I descended into Ergani to replenish this.

Heat was the word on my mind and it seemed the closer I got to Diyarbakir the nearer I came to melting. The lack of topography from there on in was my saviour and I managed to narrowly avoid becoming part of the road. Watching straw blow in the wind was an enjoyable activity and I observed as with each gust the ball of material meandered up and down. The kids had the right idea for dealing with the heat and I passed small children splashing away as their mothers prepared food. An unexpected visit from a passing Cen and slipstreaming a truck came at the end of the ride and I arrived safely in Diyarbakir.

For the first time in Turkey I felt both uncomfortable and angry as a swarm of obnoxious kids gathered round me demanding money and speaking briskly in Kurdish.  Thankfully Ozkan, a local car mechanic came to my rescue and invited me for lunch. He didn't speak any English but proved his mimimg skills through the course of the afternoon in which he told me about everything from his time in the Navy as a boat driver to the poitical situation im Kurdistan. He was a surprisingsly worldy guy, but I had to wait for my couchsurfing host Nurettin to arrive before I could find out more.

Nurettin's a husky voiced radar operator for the Turkish military arrived, he was to be my host for the next few days. His arrival also prompeted a bombardment of questions from my Ozgur and co and the topic of religion came up. I tried to explain that İ did not feel the need for a grand narrative in my life and that İ was happy appreciating the complexity of life without being able to able to explain its every characteristic. Such an answer resulted in an extremely long conversation, mainly owing to the fact that they could not fathom life without a higher power. İ did not want to offend them or come across as ignorrant but such topics result in tears even when you speak the same language.

Tears were avoided however. I drove home with Nurettin and left Ozkan to work on my bike. Its not everyday that you see a puddle in someones living room. I was to rude to ask, but I later found out that it was a way of making the heat of the house bearable. Apparently dinner here is not complete unless you sit with your feet in a puddle. I shall have to try.

Dinner was next, a delicious pizza style food called Pide. The restaurant had a great philosophy, if its empty you fill it up. This translated to as much bread, salad or drink as you liked with your meal. You order a main course here and it includes all of these as standard with it, none of this extortionate side order prices in which a drink costs as much as your meal. I helped Nurettin with date proposal text and my magic worled, half an hour later two girls arrived. Unfortunately, Nurettin liked the pretty one and I was left to trying to avoid mollestation from her friend. This was relatively sucessful, but it was not very conducive to relaxing. Never the less I lived.

Finally we mpicked up the stranded Falco, my Canadian friend from Istanbul and in the early hours of the morning sped back to Nurretin's flat with the appealing prospect of sleep in mind.


Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: