And a sunrise

Trip Start Nov 02, 2008
Trip End Dec 03, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Cook Islands  ,
Monday, November 3, 2008

Having been allocated brilliant seats at the front, before we even sat down we were moved! Our "nice" seats had miles of leg room to accommodate a baby changing shelf................
I have no idea if we took off on time. The aircraft "Sat Nav" didn't seem to have the Cook Islands so the plane was just heading to "destination unknown" in the South Pacific. Plenty of time to catch up on the films we missed on the first flight. Sally dozed a bit but I can't sleep on flights, so the 12 hours dragged. The Air New Zealand attendants kept plying us with iced water, every hour or so. About 5am local time the sky to the East started to brighten and we got a very welcome sunrise.
We landed about 6am, 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Up to now the aircraft entry and exit had been on walkways, but here it was stairs. As we walked out of the plane the warmth hit us. NICE! Here is a link to Cook Islands weather. Yes, it really is this hot!
As we went into the small arrival hall there was a guy playing guitar and singing. A nice welcome. The usual border formalities completed (stamps in passports!) we were met by our local rep, flower garland put round our necks, bottled water given to us and our driver started to load our luggage. Very fast and efficient! As we left the airport Sally asked how long to the hotel? "About 5 minutes" Perfect! We were met at the hotel by Dion, the security guy, and shown to our bungalow, right next to the beach. A spacious bedroom area, fridge, toilet and washroom and an outside shower. A short fight as to who was going to have first shower was won by me and in a couple of minutes I was on the beach and into a hammock. I was just settling down when I saw our aircraft taking off on its journey to Auckland. Breakfast was 8am and the fruit and coffee were most welcome.
We went for a walk up the road to buy some sun screen and insect replant as advised by Dion and wandered back. He also told us to drink lots of water. Considering we had been travelling for 30 odd hours we kept going until mid afternoon. We were told that we might see whales just before sunset, but when we woke up it was dark and the thought of getting up to eat seemed too much like hard work. We woke again about 2:30am right as rain. Drinking all that water on the flight seemed to have worked.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: