Ni Hao from China
Trip Start Aug 25, 2010
36Trip End Nov 23, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
1. Actually happened last night/today - I woke up around midnight to a godlike man in his underwear standing in my room. I woke up at nine and said god was lying in the bed next to mine. I went to the bathroom and the same guy was in there shaving his back. Being the shy person I am, I struck up a conversation about it and he asked me to "finish him off". Ha! I can check the "shave a man's back" off the list. (He let me touch his chest hair as a reward). I go back in room and we strike up another conversation - ends up he's 38, from Portugal and has been traveling for 2 years. He gave me a great lead on this place Yuanyuang where I plan on going after Lijiang, Dali etc
2. Started wandering city and ended up at a mosque. People were looking at me strangely (more than usual) and using the translation dictionary, a group of old men and I were able to communicate that if I wanted to stay I had to cover my hair. So I went outside the gate and got a scarf and headband from an old lady and walked around.
3. Green Lake Park - spent hours walking around. The lakes were full of lotus flowers that are actually very tall (maybe they were water lilies??) Bought a bag of steamed peanuts and a coke and sat watching a bunch of old people playing croquet. They were very, very good.
4. Yuantong Temple - oldest Buddhist Temple in the city - amazing artwork and gold sculptures plus these totally amazing dragons running up the length of a pole inside the main temple. Have pics will try to add.
5. Zhengyi Lu Mall - . This outdoor walking mall is ful of sculpture and pools of goldfish. Many people just hanging out - they have Prada in China much to my surprise.
Tonight, I am taking a 10:30 pm bus to Lijiang (its a six to seven hour trip so I'll be sleeping on it). I am hoping to change the clothes that I have had on for literally 48 hours (I slept in them too). Must rework bag sicne it feels heavier today than yesterday. I might need to rethink some of the items I have, like the big bottle of body lotion, etc.
Will write from Lijiang if I can, Bye!