Adventures in the Mountains

Trip Start Feb 20, 2001
Trip End Oct 01, 2002

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Taiwan  ,
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Adventures in the Mountains

This latest installment in my Taiwan adventure is dedicated to England captain David Beckham, the proud owner of the best right foot in world football.

The weekend began (as usual) with the traditional route of drunken debuchery that takes one from the Pig and Whistle and eventually to Nepal. This Friday's stop off was at Bryan's flat where myself, Will, Ulrick, Bryan and Nancy took part in an entertaining game of Ring of Fire (drinking game). The night eventually ended around 5.30, with me finding myself walking back to the P&W where I had for some reason left my scooter.

After a few hours of much needed shut eye, I met up with Nancy to take trip up into the mountains around Jutung. We had hoped for a big group of people to turn up, but as is often the case, hangovers often mean Saturday is a bit of a right off for a lot of people. We did meet up with Brian O and so the three of us set off for the mountains. I was quite amazed that my little beast of a scooter did make it all the way without breaking down. We arrived at our favourite camping spot by the river, which had been completely transformed by the recent wet weather. All the vegetation had been washed away and there was just a large collection of stones and rocks. Despite this, we still decided to put our tents up. Due to the large amount of rain we have had, the river had filled up substantially and the current was pretty strong. After my experience of being carired down the river unintentionally and bashing my body into rocks a few months ago, I decided not to risk going for a swim. Brian did risk it and managed to survive. The three of us sat around chatting and then I went for an afternoon snooze on a rock.

A few hours later, a two other mates turned up (Matt and V). We continued to sit around dicussing life. By 9.00 we had decided we weren't going to camp out overnight and so took the tents down. Just as we were all about to leave two of the girls from Chutung (Lindsy and Julie) showed up. They persuaded myself (I'm easily persuaded by females),Matt and V to stay. Nancy and Brian had made up their minds to come home. So, we settled back down and got a camp fire going. Matt and V went off to get some more fire wood and the three of us sat around chatting and collecting the odd bit of wood to keep the fire alive. After about 30 minutes we were starting to get a little worried about the other two. Matt then returned and informed us that D (a South African girl who had been riding up to join us) had had an accident on the way and had been taken to hospital. We of course packed up all our stuff straight away and climbed back up to our scooters. While waiting for the others to attach everything to their scooters and for my Matt to go back down to the camp spot to collect a bag he had forgotton, I took the opportunity to phone my dear Mum back home to find out the result of the England game. The old dear gave me a detailed run down of the afternoon's dramatic events (how long before Posh and Becks officially replace the monarchy?!!).

After she had finished her report, the four of us set off. The first event of the journey back involved a drunk local woman getting on the back of Julie's scooter and hitching a lift to the top of the first hill. The second event involved my tent falling off my scooter and Julie going into the back of me after I breaked suddenly. She fell off her scooter but was unhurt. I then noticed my keys had fallen out of the ignition. We had a good look around but couldn't find them. Luckily the scooter was still running and I just had to hope that it didn't cut out on the way back. We then continued on our journey, taking it extremely easily. Once back in Judung, the others went off to the hospital. I couldn't go as I couldn't afford to turn off my scooter.

I eventually got home just after 1.00 and managed to turn my scooter engine off using my appartment keys. I dumped my stuff and turned on the TV to see World Cup Qualifiers coming up on the TV. Yes I thought. I would be able to see Becks and the boys in action. Unfortunately the game in question was the mouth watering Thailand v Iran!!. After this disappointment, I decided I needed a drink to celebrate England's qualification. I found my spare keys and then met up with Brian, Nancy and a group of drunken Canadians celebrating their Thanksgiving Day at Nepal to discuss the nights events. Made it back home for the second time around 5.00.
Sunday was spent playing football (extremely badly in my case) against a group of Taiwanese lads and then going for pizza.

This is another short week as we have a holiday on Wednesday. We are planning to have a bit of a sports day, followed by some egg fighting. It should be messy!!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: