Art in Paris
Trip Start May 02, 2008
28Trip End May 31, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
- Jeff got a audio-thingy (that's the technical term) and tried to educate himself a little on the artworks. He was very interested knowing a little more about what the artists were trying to achieve, a bit of history about the pieces, what was happening around the time they were painted that influenced the artists, and other interesting trivia, very little of which he actually retained but it was immensely interesting at the time.
- Sherry, on the other hand, got bored waiting for Jeff to listen to the commentary on every 2nd piece - she was only interested in the Impressionists, which (to be fair) are the main attraction of the museum.
- Stopped for lunch at the Musee D'Orsay cafe: the most beautiful cafe we've ever seen in our lives! It reminded us of the Hall of Mirrors at the Palace of Versailles ... only much more impressive! Never seen anything like it!
- We went to the Eiffel Tower again & thought about going up to the top (since we'd only been up to the 2nd level before) but decided to keep going when we saw the length of the queues! Took some photos from the ground instead.
- Turned out to be a good decision since it started raining quite a bit so wouldn't be able to see too far anyway.
- Wandered down to Rue de Cler, another market street and looked at the cool shops & stalls there.
- Headed back to the hotel to get ready for our Illuminations night tour. We booked another tour in the same 2CV Citroen that we'd used earlier in the week ... and Sebastian, the same driver (yes, we're now officially stalking him).
- On the first tour, we'd been talking to him about what Perth is like and the Swan river so we were very impressed that he'd actually gone and looked it up on Google Earth and knew that there was something like a big "lake" in the middle, near the CBD!
- Lots of fun again & went way over our time limit ... not entirely our fault as the traffic was very busy (amazing how many people are out and about at 11pm at night - every night of the week!)