Onich, Glencoe & Glasgow
Trip Start May 02, 2008
28Trip End May 31, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
- Breakfast included black pudding (which Jeff tried and Sherry chickened out)
- drove off to see a cross marking the cross of the Glencoe massacre (poor McDonalds - they allowed some guests into their home to stay the night and then got massacred the next morning! There goes the B&B business.)
- had fun down by the river
- Louisa had a phone call from the B&B owner since Jeff forgot to give her the key (what is that strange lump in my pocket?) & so we had to drive back
- continued on to Glencoe: amazing scenery, wanted to go climb something but had to settle for running down a steep bank to a little creek!
- went to Cruchan, the hollow mountain, hydro power station where they dam water at the top of a mountain then have blasted pipes through the middle of the mountain down to the loch 400m below. Gravity runs the turbines when they need them and when there's surplus power on the grid, they use it to run the turbines in reverse and pump water back up to the top again. A very enthusiastic tour guide who thought hydro power was the most amazing thing in the whole world
- stopped for lunch then more beautiful scenery
- stopped at the "rest a while and reflect" then down a narrow road to Lochilhead, thought it was going to be a walk in the Argyll forest
- drove towards Glasgow & stopped in Luss - stone skimming championships & kids swimming in the freezing water!
- Glasgow tour of the Uni (from 1451) then dinner at nice Indian restaurant & fell asleep on the way home