A day in the life . . . .

Trip Start Apr 24, 2006
Trip End Apr 24, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Thursday, August 3, 2006

I've heard some complaints about how my updating has been rather slack (dad) and so I thought I would take you through a typical day here in Ongerup. Hold on to your hats, because it's pretty fast-paced! Just kidding!

My day starts at 10 when I roll out of bed. Yes 10 am. That's when I wake up. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later, but usually 10. Most mornings I have a cuddle with PC (Pub Cat) who likes to sleep in my bed. Apparently PC doesn't like women so his insistence on cuddling with me constantly has lead Steph to believe I am really a man. After our morning cuddle I pull on my sweatpants, fleece sweater, and slippers (it's cold inside with no central heat!) and wander into the kitchen. There I make coffee and almost always have toast. Sometimes I am feeling industrious so I make pancakes, but usually it is toast. After I've eaten I shuffle into the computer room and check my e-mail. Sometimes I chat on-line with people back home, its nice and makes me feel not so far away. Lately I've followed up this with a walk. I walk out of town using one exit, then along the highway until I reach the other exit and come back in. This takes about 40 minutes and is a very quiet walk as I usually don't see anyone at all. If we've had people staying in the motel I then head over and clean the rooms. I make the beds, clean the bathrooms and vacuum. If they have left I take the sheets and put them in the washer, hanging the sheets from the day before on the wash line. I use to never buy clothes if they said "hang to dry" but now I hang everything. Even as I collect the clothes from the line I shake my head at the irony. Depending on what day it is I either start work between 2 and 6. If I start at 2 I stock the cooler with beer from the freezer out the back and set up the bar. If I start later I usually read until it's time to work. At work I am alone on Sunday and Mondays. I have Tuesday and Wednesdays off. Steph and Nikki both work with me on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, although usually Steph moves into the kitchen when I come on. Working the bar isn't hard and can be a lot of fun. When I open at 2 the pub is usually empty for a couple hours which is when I stock the cooler, clean the windows and read my book. Slowly the usuals come trickling in. Doug with his handle of draft and Jonesy with his middie of XXXX come in every day. We sit and watch "Deal or No Deal" on the telly. I have no guts for this game and am always yelling at them to deal. When it's dead or 11:45 (9:45 on weeknights), which ever comes first, I call last drinks and takeaways. They don't have a liquor store here so people can buy their booze at the pub. I still find this odd, but at the same time think it's really smart. John gets the over the bar business and the home party business. Genius! Plus how often have you left the bar wanting to drink more but there are no liquor stores open? Its always hard to get everyone going so this part of the night can be a pain. The best is when Steph is working because she becomes "the shrew" and yells at everyone. It's fun to watch :) Once they all stumble out, I put the bar stools on the bar, sweep, mop and tidy up. Either I eat my tea (dinner) during my shift or wait until we are closed. If it's a weekend and the kitchen is open, Deb makes me something and it's yummy. If the kitchen isn't open John and I try to rotate cooking. Neither of us are any good so we have toast and eggs a lot or pasta (my speciality). Then we sit and watch telly for a while to unwind. Sometimes I read my book or go on-line again. When I finally wander off to bed its about 2 am and hopefully I've remembered to turn on my electric blanket.

Some days are longer than others and sometimes the routine changes, but basically that is my life here in Ongerup. Thrilling ain't?
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: