Day 8

Trip Start Sep 07, 2011
Trip End Sep 06, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Quarantine. I was working with Mark today on Quarantine.  This is based at the Volunteers house, but you have to go to the main site to prepare all the food.  It was such a simple and easy task today.  In Quarantine at the moment are 6 Capuchin Monkeys.  3 are female and 3 are male.  The boys do not like females at all so you have to have a male and a female on Quarantine every day so that the male monkeys can be fed, otherwise they will try and bite you.  There are two green parrots, one Kinkaju, 2 Tyras, which are a little like otters and 5 turtles.  First thing in the morning you have to clean out the birds and give them their food, and then just feed all of the others.  That is basically it until lunchtime.  I got to play with one of the female Capuchin monkeys called Mandirina.  She is lovely.  The only thing is is that she likes to climb all over you head and shoulders, especially when eating so you end up covered in all of her breakfast, which is porridge!  Good job I don't bother washing my hair for days as there is not point.  Every day it is either, poo, wee or food!

For the rest of the morning I sat found Becky and Sureya and sat with them and the baby howler monkeys.  It was a beautiful sunny day so managed to get a little time off and relax.  I deserve it after grafting really hard for the first week.

We came back at 12 and repeated the process, apart from cleaning as that only needs to be done once a day.  The feeding generally takes about 20 minutes and the food prep about the same. The Quarantine job is the easiest of them all.

After our lunch, all the volunteers had been summoned to the food prep room to give it a good clean and take out all the crap, clean it down and then put it back again.  Guess what, most people didn’t turn up.  I made of point of being there all afternoon.  I just hope it gets noticed so that when I ask for a reference once I get back to England, it will be a glowing one!

Whilst we were cleaning out the prep room, we came across a family of rats so there was utter chaos at that moment.  Daan, one of the volunteers took it upon himself to try and kill them.  He did a good job, he managed to kill 8 of them with a broomstick, and then a shovel after he broke the broomstick.

We had one more feeding session so I walked back over to the Volunteers house with Mark.  He let me feed the Tyras this time.  You do need two people as they hang around by the door and if you opened it, they would run away immediately.  One person has to take a couple of pieces of banana to distract them whilst the other trys to get in the big cage.  I got in ok, but as soon as I was in, the male Tyra decided he wanted to climb up my leg.  As he is quite heavy, he was dragging my trousers down and I was nearly walking around in the cage with just my pants on.  I didn’t want to throw him off as they do have quite sharp teeth so had to be pretty careful.  The other thing to be careful about the Tyras is that you have to feed the female first as if you do not, she will attack the male.  Good on her I say. 

I got all the food down and walked back to the door, but the male must have been pretty hungry as by the time I got back to the cage door, he was pulling my trousers down again.  Note for tomorrow, wear tight fitting trousers!!

I had a really good day today.  I do miss my babies (birds) however, it was nice to have a bit of a chill out day after working so hard for the week.  I think I am doing the same again tomorrow, lets wait and see!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html:

Table of Contents