...and the journey continues...

Trip Start Sep 07, 2008
Trip End Dec 14, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Motorway Hotel

Flag of China  ,
Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Wednesday morning began with breakfast in the hotel before 9 am. Hotel breakfast in China is much different than hotel breakfast in the US. There are no beagles, coffee, cereal, or toast. Instead, there is warm orange flavored juice, rice porridge, hard boiled eggs, noodles of some sort, dumplings, and some small bread like rolls. (I miss my cold milk and honey nut cheerios.) After breakfast a TV crew showed up and interviewed Li and a few of the other people on our trip. They wanted to know about our bus troubles and how the police helped us the night before. We ended up with a different bus to take us the rest of the way to Yixing.
We arrived in Yixing around 4 in the afternoon. We did a little shopping for teapots around our hotel, and then headed to dinner. I bought my first Yixing teapot. It has a fish for a handle and feet. Yixing is known for it's "purple" clay that is used to make hand built teapots. They can be very simple or very elaborate. I'm pretty sure I saw thousands of teapots while we were there. It was exciting. I don't drink tea but I love making teapots and I haven't really made any for a long time. I feel like I need to start making them again.
Thursday was our big day in Yixing. We started with a visit to the teapot museum. It was amazing. I took so many pictures. In the room with artists from the US there was an outhouse shaped teapot. I'm sure the Chinese must think we're all nuts.
After the museum we took taxis to see another dragon kiln. Li referred to this one as "antique." It was a 500 year old kiln used in the Ming (?) dynasty that is still in use today. They were getting ready to fire it the next day. This kiln was much more "dragon" like than the first one we saw. It looked like a huge backbone running up the hill. In addition to the kiln itself, I thought that the walls built with clay pots surrounding the kiln were pretty impressive.
We spent the afternoon in a different area of town looking at teapots. Almost every shop was full of them. Some were originals, but most of what I could afford were probably slip cast from an original. I ended up with a second teapot on Thursday. We finished out the day with a trip downtown to *drum roll* PIZZA HUT!!!! It was fantastic. I had a cheese lovers pizza and a coke. I ate my entire 9 in pizza which was probably the most food I've eaten in one sitting since we arrived in China. After dinner another girl and I stayed downtown to do some shopping. I didn't think that my day would get any better until *drum roll* we stumbled upon DAIRY QUEEN!!! It was so exciting. I had an Oreo Blizzard!!! I slept well that night.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: