Indication of Things to Come
Trip Start May 16, 2011
104Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
Discovery / Top Tourist Caravan Park
The one good thing was the caravan park though and in particular where they put us for the night. We were right at the back and overlooked this big rocky outcrop. I took a photo of it when we arrived as I thought it looked nice. Later in the evening though as the sun was going down we got our first taste of what it might be like out at The Rock. Our little outcrop turned the most vivid shades of red and gold. Can't wait to see the big one!
2. Our personal kill tally - 3 birds (Motorhome - 2, Suzuki - 1). We feel really bad but they just fly straight into you.
3. Fluffy Little White Dogs - There are thousands of them out here - mainly attached to the leashes of Victorian travellers. As a matter of fact I don't think I've met a fluffy puppy yet that doesn't come with their own personal Victorian.
4. Young Men - There is an abundance of very fit and handsome young men out here so all you single girls out there - get ye to the outback. Longreach would be a good place to start!
5. The Suzuki - Towing our little Suzi behind us is one of the best decisions we have made. Having the extra set of wheels is so convenient. We've only gone down one road so far that we couldn't turn around in and we had to unhook her so we could back-up the motorhome
6. Best Comment - Listening to Macca one morning when a man travelling with 5 kids in the car was asked how he managed without having a DVD in the car to amuse the kids. He replied straight away "If the kids want to watch a movie they've only got to look out the window."
7. Second Best Comment - Local bush poet asking the audience at Winton if we've all come out to see the dinosaurs. Everybody gives a hearty yes or nod of the head and then she says "Well you're too late."
7. Bore / Artesian Water - It smells. We have invested in a water filter!
8. Kynuna - For Gayle and Stephen - the Blue Heeler Hotel at Kynuna looks just the same as I remember. Even the rooms out the back look the same. There is however a roadhouse, caravan park and a couple of other buildings in Kynuna now as well. We didn't go inside the pub - just fed the brolgas outside as you do when in Kynuna??? There is bitumen road all the way from Winton to Cloncurry now.
9. Roads - To all our friends in North Queensland you need to start jumping up and down about your roads. The roads out here are so much better than along the coast - pot hole wise that is. There is some sort of conspiracy going on out here though with regards to the water culverts. There are thousands of them out here going under the road but 95% of them are higher than the actual road you're travelling on. I think the councils are making us all slow down by using them as speed bumps because my goodness if you hit one of them at top speed (in the motorhome that's about 95kph) then you'd best be prepared to grab hold of anything you can to stop yourself being flung from your seat and into the roof of the cab. You don't get to sleep on these roads!
Well Mount Isa is on the horizon. so bye for now.