More Rain in Spain

Trip Start Apr 08, 2007
Trip End Dec 22, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Spain  ,
Saturday, June 16, 2007

Sunday morning after the storm cleared, we packed up our camp at Hossegor and headed south to the border then west into Spain following Mick and OJ, which was good as we had the morning off from trying to figure which way to go. We again took the windy free roads which not only saves money, but you get to cruise through the small towns on the way and wind your way along rivers and into the mountains. Just as we crossed the border the Spainish Police (we think the bomb squad) had the road blocked and were packing up their equipment while one very large and intense policeman stood blocking the road holding a very large shotgun. Welcome to Spain.

The drive to Zarautz, not far west from San Sebastian, took us about 2 hours including our brush with the law. We were going to stay in the camping ground near the beach, one of OJ's favourites that he has been to before, but it had not yet opened for the summer. There is another campground on top of the headland that had spectacular views overlooking the town and beach. As we set up camp another thunderstorm turned a warm humid day into cool and wet one. We sat this one out in the car, and it cleared before long. We drove into town, enjoyed an ice cream, played some Frisbee on the beach, then cruised along the crowded beachfront walk. There were people everywhere, playing soccer, drinking in bars, and walking along the boulevard. Later we took in the sunset from our vantage point of the hilltop camping ground. Quite spectacular!

The next morning we went out for a drive along the coast road which hugs the cliff edge just above the Atlantic Ocean, at times cutting straight through the side of the rock face itself. The road winds uphill after the village where the views look out over the entire coastline.

The relaxing day took an abrupt turn when our friends from Sydney, Glen and Taryn turned up. As it was Glen's birthday the following day we had to go and celebrate. We started in the beachfront bars, quite a few of them actually, where we enjoyed a range of different European beers, then headed into the town centre where the evening kicked on. Beers, tequila, and seafood tapas, kept us going as we cruised from bar to bar. We ended up back at Glen and Taryn's room which slept 4, so Mandy and I stayed over, so we escaped the tent and air bed for a night and got to have a shower without thongs.

A fairly slow start the next day, in fact the entire day ended up a slow one for us. Glen and Taryn left about lunchtime so we spent the rest of the day lazing around the campsite, and played some Frisbee as well. Tomorrow it's time to head of again...
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: