Someone's been sleeping in my bed and it's all wet

Trip Start Apr 08, 2007
Trip End Dec 22, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of South Africa  ,
Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I'll get to the title of this entry later. But first, our day of wildlife viewing. We left Balula early and after an hour or so entered the world famous Kruger National Park. As soon as we passed the entry gate we started spotting Impala, Kudu, Zebra and Giraffe and spent the next 7 hours driving at about 30 kph searching for the big 5 (Buffalo, Elephant, Rhino, Lion and Leopard). We stopped at a picnic area and had lunch and were surrounded by these beautiful blue birds. Our mate Danny was telling us storys of all the times he had been pooed on by birds when one of the thme decided to poo on his hand while he was eating lunch.

After lunch 4 of the big five decided to come out of hiding, first 2 massive elephants were grazing right next to the road before ambling off when disturbed by us, then some more Buffulo, another glimpse of a Rhino and then as we rounded a bend we were faced with a pride of lions lying on the road infront of us. We scrambled on top of the truck for photos and then we noticed the male lion on the other side of the road (see photo). He never took his eyes of us and it was an exhilirating experience to be so close to the king of the jungle.

Later we crossed the Sabie River (which tomorrow we will swim in) and came across 2 crocodiles sunning themselves on the bank. Still no leopard yet...

We arrived at the Pretoriaskoup Campsite (which is not run by Drifters) where we were given our keys to our Huts. We noticed a smell in our hut but thought it was the airconditioner so we turned it off. Tonight we had another beautifully cooked dinner and then we were entertained by a crazy German lady called Heiki (Amurala Queen) who was travelling with us. Her stories were told in broken english which made them even funnier.

So at 10.30 it was time for bed and went back to our hut to find the smell was still there. We pulled back the blanket to find a large yellow stain on the sheet which was also wet. eeooyyyy! We rang management to complain and eventually the night manager came out and we demanded a new room. They moved us to a triple room with an ensuite (one of there luxury huts) so we finally got settled at around midnight and had 4 hours sleep before our alarm went off for our early morning game drive. What a night!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: