News from the bad boys / ex monks
Trip Start Jan 08, 2004
167Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
1. The delusion that individual advancement is made by crushing others.
2. The tendency to worry about things that cannot be changed or corrected.
3. Insisting that a thing is impossible because we ourselves cannot accomplish it.
4. Refusing to set aside trivial differences.
5. Neglecting development and refinement of the mind, and not acquiring habits of reading and studying.
6. Attempting to compel other people to believe as we do.
I finally got a call from Boun Savat last night. He was in Nong Khai picking up a tourist for a tour in Laos. He is still working as a tour guide based in Luang Prabang and has moved out of his brother's home. He sounded pretty unhappy when he was in his brother's home, and last night sounded a lot happier. Also sounds like he has lots of work at the moment due to it being high season. So all good there.
About Boun Thavee. He had stayed in Chiang Mai for a while and had a job last we heard, but Boun Savat said he has now moved to Laos with his girlfriend and has gotten or is trying to get her Laos citizenship. She is from the Thai Yai ethnic group, from the Shan state in Burma. The Thai Yai are one of the many ethnic groups that make up the Thai people, however as you know the situation in Burma is quite poor and the Shan area has been fighting for a long time to gain some independence. Boun Thavee's girlfriend was basically a refugee in Thailand and didn't have Thai citizenship or the benefits that go with it. So hopefully she will be OK in Laos. Boun Savat said that Boun Thavee is in love with her, thinks she is beautiful and wants to marry her.
That is it for now. I hope to hear more from Boun Savat next time he is near the Thai border. He sounded much happier this time than in recent times.