Buenos Aires Nightlife

Trip Start Oct 06, 2010
Trip End Mar 14, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Apartment on San Martin

Flag of Argentina  ,
Monday, November 15, 2010

I rolled into Buenos Aires for my first visit on Monday 15th. I flew down from Santa Cruz in Bolivia to catch up with the Victoria University (of Wellington, NZ) Menīs Football team tour to BA.

On my flight out of santa Cruz I forgot to put my pocketknife in my check in luggage. I went back to check in and asked if I they could put it in my bag. Next thing I knew I was given a visitors pass and taken through the secured area out to my bag that was in front of the plane. I was back in the check in area in 3 minutes. You gotta love countries like Bolivia where the rules get bended. I canīt see this ever happening at Heathrow.

When I arrived at the team hotel I quickly learned that the team conprised of 6 including myself. From that point on the football tour became a drinking and watching football tour. I met up with Ma, Robbo, Matt, Jesse and our local tour gide Guillermo (an Argentinian football coach living in Wellington).

That night we went out to Siga la Vica (follow the cow) for our first steak and red wine dinner. The menu was huge and in smorgasboard style you could choose your meat from the grill. It was fantastic. Later that night Ma and I retired to the pub for a few drinks and a catch up. The young fellas (Jesse, Robbo and Matt) went home to bed. Old timers 1 - Young fellas 0.

The day after the Superclasico we had a mix up with our hotel. (read: we had no booking!!) So we rented an apartment in the centre of town on San Martin St near St Martin square. As luck would have it Argentina were playing Brazil at football in Qatar in the afternoon so we went to the pub to cheer the Argies on. Messi scored in the 2nd minute of extra time to win it for the Argies. We decided to celebrate. We headed out that night with Guish and Rocio and found our way eventually to the Palermo party places. First was a pool hall, beers and tequila. The young fellas decided to head home around 1am. The old timers continued on to a cranking nightclub until 5.30am. Old timers 2 - Young fellas 0. On the way home Ma and I decided we need something to eat. This resulted in another case of what I call "pass the gringo to the left hand side". Asking for directions to somewhere open to eat, the locals always seem happy to help but the standard reply in up 2 blocks and right/left 2 blocks. 12 blocks and 6 locals later we found a McDonalds. My attempts to order a coffee and a OJ with a couple of breakfast burgers resulted in 5 coffees arriving. Mmmm... still havenīt grasped the Spanish to well. I gave the spare coffees away to some bemused but ultimately happy locals after walking around the restaurant going Gratis Cafe, Gratis Cafe (Free coffee). We stumbled home in the light of the morning. BA is beautiful and still at 7am.

Thursday was recovery day. Sleeping and eating was all any of us could manage.

Friday we visited Tigre for the day. The pictures from the trainspotter special show the train trip but I havenīt been able to load any pictures of Tigre unfortunately. While you can burn pictures to DVD all over the place, most internet places donīt have DVD readers. Tigre was a holiday destination 1 hour from central BA. It has a casino, amusement park and local market shops. We had lunch and took a boat tour around the river and island waterway area. It was a pleasant enough way to spend the day for our big Friday night out. We went back to Palermo and a funky bar called Carnal. Much the same as Wednesday followed though not so boozey. We had a few of Guish buddies (Gustavo and Manu) join us for beers. We tried to got to a club and we even  found one called Kiwi but in the end we fluffed about and decided to call it a night. Back to the pad via a breakfast place called La Madeline at 6am. When we got home I managed to drop my camera with the lense open. The result was not good. Bye bye camera. Bugger it!!

Saturday we headed to the pub at lunch time to watch the All Blacks v Ireland. Even in second gear we won comfortably 38-25. We also watch Real Madrid smash Athletic Bilbao. That night I caught up with Jess from London. Jess was part way through her 3 months teaching english stint in BA. Using her local knowledge we went to a bar called La Puerta Roja (The Red Door) in San Telmo (Address is 700-800 Chacabuco). Its a funky bar that only has a red door. Otherwise you would know it was there. We in fact walked right past it the first time. It was a cool place and we had a catch up on our adventures over a few beers before heading to Palermo to find the others around 2am. As we left I said gracias to the local doorman to responded with his best "See you mate" in a dodgy Aussie accent. It was most unexpected and very funny to hear. We found the others in Kiki nightclub and danced the night away again. Upon leaving and heading home Guish set Jesse and Robbo up with 4 young ladies. The young fellas thought it was christmas. We left them to it. Not long after they found us at our morning breakfast place. Turns out to borrow a phase from my friend Steffi the 4 girls "drank white wine from the furry cup" so they were out of luck. Another 6am finish.

During the evening I dared Jess to do her PADI dive certificate while in South Amercia. You know you have to do it know Jess!!! :-)

Sunday was recovery day and Sunday lunch with Guishīs parents at their home. They invited to have lunch which was a super spread and they made us feel most welcome. It was nice to get a little home cooking after so long on the road. When they found out I would be back in BA they promptly invited me to come and stay. They are a warm and wonderful couple. After lunch we decide we have to play some football as it was a football tour. So off to the park we headed. On the way we stopped to watch a polo game. In the park we found some locals and showcased out skills. The play was scintillating and it was a great suprise when no locals scouts offerred us contracts for River Plate or Boca Juniors. The evennig was a quiet night.

Monday and Tuesday were again quiet and we all prepared to go our separate ways. A lot of eating and sleeping.

A big thanks to Guish for being our tour guide for the week. BA was great fun. I look forward to seeing some sights when I return for New Years.

Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: