All The Contest Questions
Trip Start Apr 23, 2009
17Trip End Jun 23, 2009
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
The Hotel Cali-Fournier
(You don't need to read our TravelPod to find the answers!)
1. Which early Crete society was remarkably advanced, produce unsurpassed art work, and was the centre of a maritime trading empire as early as 2000 BC?
2. Name the script, written on clay tablets and found only on Crete, that has yet to be deciphered.
3. Did you know that Crete is Greece's largest olive producer? Name 3 varieties of olives.
4. Name 5 fruits grown on Crete.
5. Chania now sits on the ancient city of Kydonia, and was fought over and controlled by Romans, Byzantines, Venetians, Genoese, Turks, Egyptians and Germans. In what year did Crete unify with Greece?
6. Name the endangered mammal found only in the Samaria Gorge on Crete.
7. What beverage is often served after your Taverna meal on Crete?
BONUS POINT--What is it?
8. What is "The Law Code of Gortys"?
9. What are your thoughts after reading
10. Name the man who had all the angles and whose statue is in the last photo of this TravelPod entry.
11. Why did/do the Dervishes Whirl?
12. Which group of ancient people, who arrived from Mesopotamia in 3600 BC, invented all of the following items: pictograph script, wheels and carts, terra-cotta cone mosaics, cylindrical seals, instrumental music (lyre), mathematical numbers, and multiplication tables.
13. Why was Alexander the Great so 'great'?
14. What prophecy would you ask of the Oracle at Delphi today?
If you wish, you may copy these questions, paste them into a document, add your answers, and submit them to email@example.com by midnight on Canada Day,
July 1. We look forward to receiving your answers and will publish the
answers, contest winners and photos of the prizes. (The 'Teachers' Pet has already sent us her answers, so give her a run for her money!)
Submitted by: _________________________________________