The Noosa Everglades

Trip Start Dec 15, 2006
Trip End Dec 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Thursday, May 17, 2007

I arrived into Noosa in the afternoon and was met by the Gagaju Bush Camp shuttle bus and my 2 travel buddies for the trip, Bobby (my German friend who I have been traveling with for a while) and Andy (from New Zealand, just met him that instant). We were heading out on a 3-day, 2 night canoe trip on the Noosa Everglades. This is a type of waterway where the Tea Tree Oils and decoposition causes the water to turn black. It was fairly amazing. We went to the grocery store to pick up food for the trip and some booze. Andy was a bit of a picky eater, not liking pasta, rice and most vegetables. Interesting.

We headed back to the camp and it was a proper bush camp with an outdoor kitchen and tent-like dorms for sleeping. Bobby was really excited about all of it because he had never camped before. We had some dinner and drinks before heading off to bed. It was pissing down rain so we were a little nervous about the canoe trip. But my many years of camp counsellor experience told me that the more positive you are, the better so as they say here in Australia, No Worries!

An early rise of course and we were shortly on the water. It was sunny but rain was clearly on the way. We started with a big lake crossng and we lucky enough to have a rainbow. It was great to be out canoeing again but it really really made me miss C.A.C. and now it is sinking in that I am not going to be there this year. So sad.

We got to camp in the early afternoon, set up, ate some lunch and had time to look around the camp and the boys went swimming. I wasn't feeling up to it and the lurking possibilty of sharks didn't sit too well with me. We had some drinks with dinner and got to know some of the other folks sleeping at our camp.

Another ealry rise to paddle to the Great Sandy National Park. This is the same National Park to which Fraser Island belongs to. We had to paddle for 1.5 hours and then hike for the same amount of time before coming to a beautiful and huge sand dune! It was incredible because there is a proper forest growing out of the sand. Loverly. We paddles back to camp just in time before the darkness set in. Bobby and I made a great veggie stew for dinner and Picky Andy had processed meat sandwich.... blah. To each their own though. I do not judge.

We had to get up at 5am, when it was still dark, to be on the water for 6am. We packed up and made it on by 6:10. Not bad, not bad. We had some major confusion about the way back to our pickup point. The moral of the story is, never trust a German to give you directions!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: