Death of a Watermelon

Trip Start Feb 14, 2006
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Portugal  ,
Monday, August 21, 2006

Waking up the next day was painful. There really isn't any other way to describe it. We got our stuff together and eventually made our way out of the city. Only after stopping to buy "Rising Cock" T-shirts, of course. Cutlip suggested that since they had an early flight the next day, that we pick a place not too far from Lisbon and just get on the road early the next day. We picked Evora, a medevil town about 100K's away.

Driving across Portugal was absolutely stunning. It's kind of a shame that we all felt so terribly. It was a long, quiet car ride.

Evora might be my favorite city to date, in Europe. It's a walled city that has taken great pains to keep its old world flavor. It was the first city that we've been to so far that I would deem romantic. We didn't do too much there, just took about a thousand pictures. The town had been occupied by the Romans, the Visigoths, the moors, the Spanish, the French and probably a few in between. All of them left some sort of indelible impression on the city. It's easy to forget just how old everything in Europe is, but in Evora the past didn't seem so far away.

The next day, we hit the road at 6:30 in the morning. On the way there; Neill got to do something that he had been dying to do all week. You see, on the first day of the trip down the coast, we stopped and bought a watermelon. We intended to eat it, but just never got around to it. Neill talked of smashing the thing on numerous occaisions. On the highway to the airport, he finally got his wish. With the "WOO HOOO" song by Blur blaring in the car, and Cutlip video taping the execution. Neill, with great ceromony, through the melon out of the car which was traveling at about 75mph. We giggled like little girls for the next five or six miles. Neill is the Galhagar of our time.

After getting Cutlip and Stevens to their flights, we headed back to the Marriott for some relaxing. Neill and I drank coffee on the veranda, while Kelly took a much deserved nap in a clean and comfortable bed.

We bounced around the city some during the day. And that night we ended up catching a Fado show in a restraunt. Fado music is indiginous to Portugal, and it may be the most pationate music that I've ever heard. The singers were singing with such intensity that I had to wonder what kind of wrong had been committed against them in the past. It's just that I couldn't imagine being able to summon those kinds of emotion without something to call upon.

Neill got on the road for the airport early the next morning, and Kel and I took full advantage of the Marriott right up until the noon checkout.
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: