Waiting out another cold front in Clifton, Tenn

Trip Start Oct 30, 2010
1
14
50
Trip End Ongoing


Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
shadow
Where I stayed
Marina dock

Flag of United States  , Tennessee
Tuesday, November 30, 2010

We arrived in Clifton at the marina about 4 pm on nov. 28th to wait out another cold front. Leaving Cuba landing we had 42 miles to travel. The next cold front arriving on Nov. 30 (our first anniversery on board) is arriving with night temperatures below freezing and high winds so for us to be able to use our little ceramic heater we need shore power and it's completely protected here. There is even the possibility of snow mixed with the rain tonight. The weather is going to clear wednesday and due to be better so we are heading out thursday morning to make a run for Pickwick Dam. There are no more marinas after we leave here before the dam and we will be bucking the current from the turbines. It remains to be seen how fast  and how fa rwe can go against the current  without traveling at night so we will be anchoring out for 3 nights at least and night time temperatures of near freezing. We will have no internet or cell service for the next several days and let you know how it went.

I have posted my leak problem on the Balboa users website and got a flood or replies. It appears that this is a common problem and leaks do develop in the keel well. It usually leaks more when the keel is raised. When the keel is lowered it contacts a hole in the well where a hold down bolt is supposed to go. I have the hole but there was  a rotten cork in it. It appears that the hole is through materiel about 2 inches thick and a lamination of several layers. On inspection It looks like there is some delamination and water being pushed up into the well when we are moving has come down through that crack and dripping where I saw it into the bilge. That's why it doesn't leak when we are stopped. The water level is below the hole.

Other owners just keep pumping water out as it rises and don't worry about it. I decided to fill the hole completely with caulking so no water gets into the crack. No way to test it until we get back into the river again and start moving. Operational stress test. 

I have attempted to attach a small video clip of our dockage here. We are supposed to be able to so this is the first try.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: