Timing is everything
Trip Start Jul 07, 2009
29Trip End Oct 05, 2009
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
Still at home...
After advertising the 'silver bullet' (my beloved volvo), unsuccessfully on CL for 5 weeks, I pretty much figured that my trip would have to be limited to 2 months, as the majority of my trip funds are coming from that sale. Lo and behold I got a call from a Canadian on Monday and he wants to buy the car! He'll be flying in on Monday, yes, one day before I leave, to give me money and drive the car home. I think I'll wait to count the money until it's in the bank.
Another timing issue came from a job I applied for in January. Haven't heard a peep for six months. Knowing how the G works, I was expecting a minimum 6-12 month wait before any notification. It's just how things work. Got a call yesterday telling me I've passed phase one of the hiring process (there are about 10 phases) and I had a choice of three dates to take the written exam (phase 2). My choices were July 7, 14 or 16. Hmmm... since my flight leaves at 6am on July 7, I guess that won't work.
I did spend a sleepless night mulling over my options. Change my flight to the next day? At $150 that'll be a 'no' - what happens if take the test and pass? The interview could be in 4 months, 2 weeks, or a year. That's the worst part about working for the G - the hiring process. You're completely at their beck and call and as soon as you try to plan your life, they decide to go ahead and process your application and if you can't meet their schedule RIGHT NOW then you're screwed. I left a message with the recruiter and will find out my fate later today.
Since I'm not really sure I want to return to my old career, I'm trying to take it as it comes. On one hand, knowing 'security' of a nice income, health insurance, retirement is waiting for me when I get home would be a nice change. On the other hand, the whole purpose of this trip was to ball up and experience total, unrestricted freedom to live and travel as I want for the next 2 -12 months. Jumping through hoops on Uncle Sam's timetable doesn't lend itself much to freedom. It's scarier not having a safety net to fall back on but I think I need a little scary right now.
I have to remind myself that I decided on this trip because of timing. I'm 37, with no bills, no job, no family commitments, and an awesome tenant paying my mortgage. If now isn't the perfect opportunity to travel extensively, when is?