Salsa Under the Stars
Trip Start Apr 13, 2011
7Trip End Apr 20, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
- talking salsa dancing lessons in the living room of a teacher's typical Cuban home while Grandma watched from her rocking chair in the next room
- trying out those newly learned steps to the beat of a live band on cobblestones under the stars at the Casa de la Musica, wishing I could move like the locals young and old showing off their sultry stuff on the rough outdoor dance "floor"
- sharing a moment with an old veteran of the Revolucion, who proudly showed me his military medal and some tattered black and white photos of himself and his comrades in uniform
- wandering the hilly streets in the evening and seeing the water truck make its deliveries while noticing that the TV in every single home was playing the same soap opera with various family members gathered around. It explained why the streets were so quiet for that hour, much like they would be during the final period of a Stanley Cup hockey game at home. By the way, the water truck system is in place to make up for the lack of a reliable city water supply.
- blushing as the handsome young omelette-maker at the hotel flirted with me, only to notice later that practically every brunette below the age of 50 was getting the same treatment. I've come to realize that flirting is part of the daily Cuban routine.